Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 26-08-2003 , 03:37 PM

polluted earth...crit [pic]

i am working on this image the last two weeks and I need a few advices about the final look. My primary idea was to put something to look like smoke or gasses so to make the earth look really polluted. But I am not really sutisfied with the result(it look like hair). Which one do you prefer and what do you recomend to change or add?

user added image

user added image

# 2 26-08-2003 , 03:57 PM
second, yep it looks like hair, but it also humanizes earth wich is cool and adds more metaphore to the image...

# 3 26-08-2003 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
sory to stray from the topic but O MY GOD THAT METAL IS AMAZING!!!!!!! HOW THE F' Did you texture that!?!?!?!

serisouly thats a great idea for an image and i think you definately pulled it off (with the smokeness. Maybe if you wanted it to look more like smog and less like hair, you could add a second emitter with a darker colour (and lower the rate on both). Also i'd saturate the colour of the smoke a little more to give it that "unnaturally dirty" look. If you duplicate the emitter, don't forget to check the "Duplicate input graph" box.

Also the straps that go around the back of the "head" should be rubber and that would most likely be black(ish) and not the same texture.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 4 26-08-2003 , 05:28 PM
Subscriber
I think he was trying to go for a rubber look, but i may be wrong.

It came out looking like a metal gas mask vs a rubber one.

I like it better with the smoke btw.

# 5 27-08-2003 , 09:44 AM
hehe... yea actually i wasnt trying to make it look like plastic PVC or something but i ended up with that... you know when you work too much on the same thing, its hard to notice some important details (i have to pull out of the monitor for a while hehe user added image that's why the straps have the same matirial.
I'll have a go again to improve the smoke particles and i'll see which I will keep

thanx for your comments

# 6 27-08-2003 , 11:23 AM
Nice, but the earth looks very clean...... besides the smoke. I'd try to "industialize" it a bit with some dirt and gloom to really get the message across.

But its a really cool concept

www.craigcrane.com
# 7 28-08-2003 , 07:36 AM
nice bro i like the whole concept. evil reminds me of the movie heavy metal.

# 8 28-08-2003 , 03:39 PM
just a raph render...
i changed the earth map and i also put a slightly bigger and semi trasparent sphere for an atmosphere.
i think now its more obvious that the planet is polluted right?

user added image

# 9 28-08-2003 , 03:45 PM
now thats much better, looks really really nice
Brian

Btw you have great textures,

Maybe a second sphere around the first, and have a cloud texture map with an alpha so you can see the earth below???

Please check
My (old) website!
# 10 28-08-2003 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
it appears thats what he did brianuser added image Looks much more polluted now. Good job.

Is there anyway you could explain a bit about you're texture? Its soooo cool. I'm very very interested.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 28-08-2003 at 06:16 PM.
# 11 29-08-2003 , 03:49 PM
it's a really good idea!! and the work is hmm... just wonderful! this summer was terrible hot in whole europe why you don't make it a dessert?

# 12 30-08-2003 , 10:15 AM
thanx for you comments....
the earth texture is just a file i've d/l from a scientific site and its about 2000x1000 or something(i am not sure) which i put it in photoshop and changes the hue of some colors like blue and green so to make it look like that.
for the mask matirial is just a blinn with fractal maps in color and specular color, and also in the incadescence i have a sampler info and an another fractal so to make this dusty outline.
I may upload it in the site one day

# 13 31-08-2003 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
Wow really nice. I also like the smoking version better. The metals looks very nice.

Alex

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au