Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 91 05-09-2003 , 04:08 AM
Mmmm. Just a thought but... How about hitting F1? :p

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 92 05-09-2003 , 02:38 PM
it would be nice.. bu something is wrong and i get an error, and none of my help files work.. Grr..
B

Please check
My (old) website!
# 93 05-09-2003 , 03:06 PM
have u tried reinstalling it? Sounds like an installation corruption.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 94 05-09-2003 , 03:08 PM
that sucks... Grr.. i know how to make an image displace, but it doesn't displace very much, no matter what the contrast is, the displacement is allways minimal... Does anybody have any idea why, or how you controll the displacement?? Thanks
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 95 05-09-2003 , 03:26 PM
well, it kinda works like a bump map. Gotta have the displacment map in grayscale, a bmp usually works best for that. Then, all you should need to do is apply the thing and control it in the att. editor. Just, start it with a very minimal number and work up from there, since it does actually create geometry using the map. A high setting will blow it way out of proportion and take forever to test render.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 96 05-09-2003 , 03:43 PM
here is my first test... user added image this looks so much better than a bump map, but it also takes alot longer to render.... What do you think? I am going to bump it up a bit... Dave, I couldn't find an attribute, where I could just bump up the displacement... not sure where it is? Instead, I edited the dispalcement shader, by remaping it with a ramp shader in maya, and for the white or light color, instead of making the V value a value of 1, I bumped it up to 8... no i will go to 12 to see what it looks like. THanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 97 05-09-2003 , 03:54 PM
made some more changes... THink its going to work out really really well! Thanks alot for the tip about making displacement maps... looks much better than bump maps... Just takes alot longer to render.. any comments? What do you guys think? I will need to edit it of corse, so that not everything sticks out.. but its a start. Thanks,
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 98 05-09-2003 , 05:06 PM
Incredible stuff!

This is the path, hope your cumputer can handle the whole car though when the time comes. (Maybe it´ll be time to render in passes) user added image

# 99 05-09-2003 , 06:16 PM
Looks like you are on track. TIme for the real thing.

# 100 05-09-2003 , 06:56 PM
Brian, open the hypershade and click on the material node with the displacement map on it. Then, click on the SHOW INPUT / OUTPUT CONNECTIONS, this will map out the connections in the lower window. It will show you the displacement node. Click on it and you should be able to change the values.

What you have is looking good. But edit it so you have varying levels of displacement. Also, watch the 'mountains'. If you notice, the peaks look good, but the sides are all smooth. Actually, by adding a bump map to the displacement shader, you might be able to pull off bumpy sides. user added image

Oh, and yes... the displacement shader takes a while to render. You might want to render it seperately from the truck and composite.
user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 101 07-09-2003 , 03:03 AM
Hey guys... Grrr... what a bad day... Over the last few days, I have noticed some wierd things with my email account, and I think that someone took it over, or is atleast using it to send out spam mail with my name.... GGGGRRRRR... I haven't really recieved anything from anybody as well, so if anybody has tried to email me lately, i probably didn't get it, I don't know how long it has been going on.... Guess I need to contact the company that is hosting my email. So, if you neeed to ask me anything email me at

Brian_ellebracht@yahoo.com

atleast for a little while untill I get this fixed. Other bad news... I really hope that this truck project helps get me a job somewhere.. cauz its going to cost me alot of money... THe mud some how messed up my paint in two ways... where ever the mud was, it is leaving some really bad marks, think it ate thru my clear coat... user added image Brand new truck) I am having some one look at it sometime next week... Two when I was washing it today, I was using a rag my mom gave me... aparantly it was the same rag that my parrents used to redo the grout on the bathroom tile... Didn't notice the scratches until I was 3/4 of the way done washing it when it started to dry.. needless to say... not a good weekend at all. Haven't got to work on the model lately... Well, hopefully tomorrow will be better,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 102 07-09-2003 , 03:34 AM
Subscriber
you're not employed?? What the.. That's a goddamn shame - for some reason, I'd believed that you were hired somewhere. Your work is pretty awesome. Shame about the car too, I guess its one of the things you don't think about. My beetle was wrecked by the time I was through with it - thing with leaving your emails out on the net, do not have the @ placed anywhere. Bots apparently scour the net looking for email addresses.

Hope your weekend shapes up!

# 103 07-09-2003 , 04:06 PM

Originally posted by brian_ellebracht:
I have noticed some wierd things with my email account, and I think that someone took it over, or is atleast using it to send out spam mail with my name....

Oooh! You got a virus! Run a system scan. Update your virus definitions and scan. The So-Big worm does what you describe. (as well as a few others) But you definitely got a virus if you're sending emails that you aren't actually sending. Also, dont open any of them that you get back. That's a NO NO!

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 104 07-09-2003 , 04:09 PM
Oh, btw...

Brian, I was playing with a little utility called the HEIGHT FIELD. Works something like the Displacement Map but works a lot faster. Only problem is, I couldn't figure out how to get it to render. Hrmmm...

Well, might want to look into that as well, as an alternative/addition to displacement mapping.

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 105 07-09-2003 , 04:17 PM
The Maya Mountain
From what I understand, Hotmail's servers have this worm thing, and most hotmail accounts seem to be sending out those virus emails. Hopefully they'll fix it soon.