Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-06-2010 , 10:11 AM

nCloth is too jumpy or floating (no gravity...)

hey guys!

I am trying too rigg a dress with nCloth but there is one big (besides many others user added image ) problem:

the dress seems to float around the body while the character is moving. in other words: each step (walking animation) from the character performs a jump on the dress. it looks funny, like a jojo. I tried different presets but the problem stays the same. the dress is somehow not attached to the body like cloth behaves normally. it is like gravity doesnt exist (which is the case actually in my scenefile. do I have to add a gravity field to make it work propperly?)

if someone could pinpoint the attribute(s) that would be great!

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 2 24-06-2010 , 12:51 PM
ok, this problem is caused by the spaceScale attribute inside the nucleus node. my scenes space scale was set to 1, now it is 0.01. I read an explanation somewhere which said spaceScale should be set to 1 while one maya unit equals 1 meter. I but have set the maya units to cm. as much as I understood this means my cloth behaved like a 150m long dress before.

with a spaceScale of 0.01 now the animation looks much better and smoother. also within those couple of seconds when the animation starts the dress is getting pulled down like actual gravity is at work.

# 3 24-06-2010 , 02:03 PM
Good work figuring that out. Amazing how the smallest things can cause such big problems.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 24-06-2010 , 03:31 PM
Hi Fallot.

Its worth remembering that with dynamics as they are all determined on meters.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 24-06-2010 , 07:17 PM
I´ll keep that in mind user added image