Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-11-2007 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber

Game Triangulate Question

Hey guys, I was just testing some things and would like your thoughts about this.

Which is better? Option 1 or Option 2?

In option 1, i purposely left out and deleted an edge. When i triangulate, everything goes fine and all goes to tri's. When i convert back to quad(4 side's), it seems as if it adds an extra edge. Is that something to worry about?

In Option 2, everythings four sided and i convert, works like usual and when i convert back it goes back to the original.

I know it kind of says that Option 2 is the better one here though my real question is that in the first option, is that a worry about how it added in the edge?

Also, in games ... everyone is 3-sided right? not four sided... just making sure user added image

Thanks,

Marlon

user added image

Last edited by marlonjohn; 24-11-2007 at 02:20 AM.
# 2 24-11-2007 , 04:10 AM
Subscriber
yea games are in tris... did u ever get your new computer up and going?

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 3 24-11-2007 , 06:59 AM
Acid44
the extra edge is nothing to worry about for somethin like that but if it were a whole city scape it may pose a problem...

option 2 would be better cause its cleaner but if it were a landscape type of thing id say go for option 1 because it looks like its less polly count and a messy mesh doesnt make much difference in game if it isnt gonna be animated

and ya games are in tris

user added image

# 4 24-11-2007 , 11:24 AM
Jr.Who
I would say 2. But now I have a question. Why are games in tris? Wouldn't it just be easier if they were quads?

# 5 24-11-2007 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
@ Solomon - Yeah i finally got the new comp working, blady PCI-Express slot was faulty :p Everything works cool now, and had abit of a problem before
with maya's viewports freezing on me, but got it sorted out with anti-aliasing. user added image

@ Acid - Alright cool, thanks for the comment.

@ Jr.who - Donno, i just remember someone saying to me that, tri's are much easier to process or something in game engines rather than quads... donno if im right or wrong.

Thanks all,

M.

# 6 24-11-2007 , 03:31 PM
Hi,

think the reason you're getting an extra edge in the second one, is that your original isn't all quads (you've got a five sided shape).

When you convert it to tris then back to quads, maya is giving you mainly quads and one tri, rather than leaving you with a 5 sided shape.

cheers,

gubar

# 7 25-11-2007 , 03:56 AM
Subscriber
Yeah it was just a test i was doing, and wanted to see what it would do if i put in a five sided edge in it.

Also i though it might have given my original mesh back as how it was converted into tri's, but it changed ... thats what i was abit worried about :p

Cheers,

# 8 25-11-2007 , 06:40 AM
I think game's use tri's as it's faster to calculate. I also think that everything's converted to tri's at render time anyway.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 9 25-11-2007 , 07:50 AM
I thought games needed to use tris because DirectX couldn't handle quads. Not sure about OpenGL, but I think I recall reading something about it being able to handle more complex shapes, up to five point polygons ???

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!