Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 09-02-2010 , 04:58 AM

Need tips on reference picture positioning

I've done a fair amount of tutorials, and now I'm trying to do some stuff on my own. I'm having a hard time modelling with the current reference picture setup I use. I just import the image, and it gets stuck right in the middle of the grid. I've adjusted the transparency on both the reference picture and the model, but without wireframes (using sculpt geometry on nurbs.. wireframe makes it hard to see the shape), it's difficult to see how the surface of the image is turning out.

For example, right now, I'm trying to sculpt an ear; but since it's such a thin object, the surface is so close to the image that I can't see the individual bumps very well.

There was one tutorial that I watched where the person had his reference pictures situated around the model rather than slicing through it. How do I do that? Or, are there even better ways to set the whole thing up?

# 2 09-02-2010 , 06:13 AM
EduSciVis-er
One way to do it is to simply create a NURBs plane and map a file texture to it as your reference. That way you can move, scale, do whatever to it as it's actual geometry. Hope that helps.

# 3 11-02-2010 , 06:28 PM
Simply Maya OG

Originally posted by stwert
One way to do it is to simply create a NURBs plane and map a file texture to it as your reference. That way you can move, scale, do whatever to it as it's actual geometry. Hope that helps.

I do the exact thing. Except I use a poly plane, that way I can map the UV's for it accordingly. Then make a layer for each plane, reference the layer, so you cant click on it to select it. The only issue there is, you cant use wireframe mode with the ref image. You'll have to adjust the transparency of the material on the object your working on to see though it.

Also, if you go into the camera properties, you can adjust the positioning of the ref image. I dont have Maya on my work computer, so Im not sure the exact "location" of the ref image properties, but I do know it can be done.

- Hybrid