Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 46 30-08-2012 , 08:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ah... getting close. We have till tomorrow ~evening, right Gen?

# 47 30-08-2012 , 10:49 PM
Super Moderator
Yep, August 31st at midnight. Whenever that is for you. I'm going to update the final entry thread with this info.

- Genny
# 48 31-08-2012 , 01:49 AM
Subscriber

Whenever that is for you.

It used to be awesome being ahead of everyone else user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 49 31-08-2012 , 01:50 AM
EduSciVis-er
Haha... and I used to be at the very end... now I'm a bit closer to the midline, but still pretty far over.

Not to worry, I should be able to post around noon my time, which is in about 14 hours; but first, some sleep.

# 50 31-08-2012 , 04:52 PM
EduSciVis-er
I guess that wraps it up... what a great challenge. I really tried to focus on the photography... what "people" would be doing if someone took a picture of them around a "campfire". Wanted to keep it simple, but get it right. Learned a ton on shader networks, SSS, texturing, lighting, and rendering. Of course I can still see things I'd rather change or fix or troubleshoot, but quite pleased overall. I really enjoyed watching the other threads too. Good luck and congrats to all that entered a final image user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 51 31-08-2012 , 08:04 PM
Acid44
That looks great man, good luck

# 52 09-09-2012 , 02:46 AM
EduSciVis-er
I think I'd like to refine this piece a bit and use it in my portfolio for the time being, so I'd like a bit of constructive feedback. As long as suggestions aren't too major, I'd like to see if I can take feedback and improve it.

# 53 09-09-2012 , 07:05 AM
Acid44
I'd suggest a bit more pronounced bump map on the eggs, less specularity on the popsicle sticks and marshmallow, and maybe a bit of work on the skewer, just something to give it a bit more spice

# 54 10-09-2012 , 01:36 PM
Is there a way you can add a little more light? You did such a great job with the marshmallow, but I can't really see it well in the final picture, and the eggs could probably take a little more lighting. Maybe you can add a little flame to the end of the marshmallow to justify more lighting on it? Otherwise, I think it looks great as is.

# 55 13-09-2012 , 11:11 AM
Administrator
Stwert, I just moved this thread to the challenge archives, let me know if you want to continue on it and I can move it WIP instead.

I agree with the light thing. Take a look at this, it's a nice ref for indoor candle light.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jalalspages/2177964819/

I'm not sure what the easiest way to do it would be, but you could try adding a wall in the background for light to bounce off and sample the colors from that image on the color ramp of a volume light it should give you a nicer fall-off.

Nilla