Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-04-2011 , 04:08 PM

guitar question

just a simple question. and i'm sure theres a simple answer too.. i am modeling an acoustic guitar and want to know wat the easiest way to animate the strings actually playing would be.. and wat i should make them out of? there wont be a person playing it it will just be the guitar and it will be playing on its own then be put to a soundtrack.. soo i need to know how to make it look the strings are being played.. thank you user added image

# 2 04-04-2011 , 04:41 PM
EduSciVis-er
Easiest way would be to create a long narrow cylinder with a single row of vertices at the point where they would get strummed. Then animate those vertices back and forth. Hope that helps.

A better way would probably be to use a lattice and/or a cluster handle and put a vibration expression (like a sin function) on the handle and render it out with motion blur.

# 3 04-04-2011 , 04:52 PM
how to you use the lattice/cluster thing? and wats a vibration expression? haha im a noob user added image

# 4 04-04-2011 , 04:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
I suggested the easiest way, which is what you were looking for, but if you want to make it more believable you'll probably have to do a bit of research and tutorials. A lattice is a deformer, try experimenting with it (it's in the animation module under create deformers I think). A cluster is a handle that can move multiple vertices (refer to Maya help on more info on how to create them).
A vibration expression isn't anything specifically in maya, I was simply saying that you could use an expression to drive the motion making it look more like a vibrating string. You'll probably have to do a few tutorials to learn about expressions. Maybe I shouldn't have suggested it. Go with the first simpler option.

# 5 05-04-2011 , 04:04 PM
haha alrighty i'll let u know how it goes! thanks!!

# 6 07-04-2011 , 11:43 PM
didnt go soo good haha but i got it to look alright teacher loved it now working on muscles and need help!!