Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-03-2011 , 11:35 PM
Antony82

Help in Architectural Modeling - Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I have just started to learn maya using online tutorial. I am familiar with some of the tools in modeling. I am interested in architectural modeling. I have taken the pictures of the builsing which i want to build. however, i would like some suggestion from the experts, where to start, if i want to start a architectural model. please guide me with your ideas. I appreciate all your suggetions.

thanks
Antony

# 2 01-04-2011 , 03:17 AM
Lifetime Member
If you want accuracy and scale/measurements...personally I would NOT use Maya. Otherwise check these tut's out mate if its just for art....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

# 3 01-04-2011 , 05:40 AM
Yeah, depends on what you are wanting to do. I've done quite a few architectural renderings for people (exterior only though). Maya is great for photo realistic renderings, showing concepts, designs, etc but if you are wanting to create something that is precise enough in every detail for someone to build from, then Maya is definitely not what you want.

Modeling a building, house, etc is fairly simple. Just keep looking for modeling tutorials and you'll be able to model a house in no time. Click on the "Training" menu at the top of this site and you'll find some useful tutorials. When you get to the texturing stage, if you want really great results, I highly recomend using photos for texures. You'll also want to check out lighting tutorials too as Lighting will play a big role in the final look as well.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

# 4 01-04-2011 , 06:07 AM
Lifetime Member
Sorry guys...dunno what happened to the link LOL

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-..._id=&sub_cat=6

I have to model a room extension on my house...thanks to honestdom Im going to use Sketchup, easy to use, accurate measurements etc etc...but then I will import to Maya and texture in there...hmmm Perfecto I might be calling on you mate...LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

# 5 06-04-2011 , 04:42 AM
Antony82
Hello Perfecto,

Thanks for your reply,

I am actually looking to build a whole campus of my university, which has 3 -4 building, the main purpose of this project is to give an idea for the students to find the location of different office, which is located in different building.

In only one building i would have to create an interior view to show the office location.

I thought Maya will help me to build easily. I tried google sketch up, but i dont like that. so I preferd to go to maya.

Do you have anyother suggetion for me?

cheer
Antony

# 6 06-04-2011 , 04:44 AM
Antony82
Thanks Bullet,

Thanks for your reply,

I have tried the tutorial in this website, they are not so help full. And i am not that rich to pay for all the tutorials in this webiste, free ones are so limited and not helpfull.

cheers
Antony

# 7 06-04-2011 , 05:26 AM
SM Tea Boy
I takes years to learn Maya. if you expect to open a copy and put together a university complex that looks good with the aid of a few free online tutorials, your ether the smartest man I ever met or an idiot.

I'll say it again, it will takes you years to learn. Spending some money would speed this process up a bit. You'll notice I said a bit! If you want to become a 3D artist learning Maya is a good idea. If your using it for this one project give up and use something else.

Maya != Easy

Quite frankly this annoys the crap out of me, you picked for you first project an entire exterior and interior scene. Something that most 3D artists (people that actually know the software) would find quite challenging.

My advice use Sketchup its what its designed for.

Dave

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"

# 8 06-04-2011 , 05:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Wel all I can say mate...is read what David has said and take it on board and review your intent with this project. If you are modelling for student orientation (which you have now explained)...why?? Every building has floor plans for safety/fire reasons and you are re-inventing the wheel. If it is for a true 3D project...mate as David has said...damn lofty, I wouldnt be doing a whole building and campus right off the bat mate...I would say your dorm room would be a big enough project for a beginner.

I have been using Maya part time for over a year...and I am still well and truly infantile when it comes to the other guys and girls on the forums mate...I have my skillset and head well and truly kept in check by everyone here....and if I suggest a model that they know is out of reach...they tell me...more importantly I listen. It takes YEARS as David said to become truly good at it...and even them some people take longer.

As for not being rich...dude none of us are wealthy (well maybe a couple LOL)...and if you really want to do 3D you will have to pay somewhere along the line mate. Not everything in life is free...and if you want to learn from the top shelf of drinks...you pay. I have 5 kids, 2 cars, house etc etc and I cant afford a shitload either...but I gave up booze, junk food, going out etc etc to save the money for a life membership...get where Im going here? some of these tutorials are pretty damn cheap...a few hours work and no luxuries and you have enough to buy one.

Now if its for scale etc as I said above...Maya is NOT the program to do it...Sketchup is...I am a Surveyor by trade...so I map and build a bucketload of stuff...and use 3 different programs to do so...but thanks to dom I found sketchup and thats the one...its free and VERY efficient and easy to learn. Im not a 3D artists bumhole...but I am a damn good Surveyor...and if Im using something to build a house etc...then its because thats the best way to do it (Surveyor for 25 years now). So is this for art?? or for practical use for orientation? This is what you have to decide....as I have said mate...orientation = Sketchup, art = Maya (with LOTS of practice).

cheers bullet

P.S My house after a few hours

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 06-04-2011 at 06:00 AM.

# 9 06-04-2011 , 05:58 AM
Administrator

I have tried the tutorial in this website, they are not so help full. And i am not that rich to pay for all the tutorials in this webiste, free ones are so limited and not helpfull.

Did you actually watch and follow along with the free tutorials? Because they were made by some fairly good modelers on this forum which makes your comment quite offensive. This tutorial covers arches, walls, basic UV's and normal mapping which you'll need in most environments. This tutorial covers the method I use for creating most objects, and also some glass which you'll need in your windows. Here you'll find a lot of info on NURBS which you can use for pipes and things like this on exteriors.

Now go back and post again when you've made a brick wall, some arches, basic chain links and pipes, a couple of UV and normal maps and then tell these people who took time out of their busy schedule that it was wasted on unhelpful content.

Nilla

# 10 07-04-2011 , 12:29 AM
Wow, it sounds like you're all taking turns blasting away on Antony82. I'm sure he meant that the free tutorials were not as helpful as he needs them to be for his specific project he's wanting to do. I personally believe the tutorials would benefit him but the way everyone responded was a little distasteful to me. I think it could have been dealt with a little bit more maturely. Antony82 sounded like he was trying to be nice, not hateful. He probably just used a bad choice of words but nobody even stopped to ask what he meant.

Also, not everyone's is going to automatical assume that what we do takes years to learn. I have a good friend that thought it was easy stuff until he actually tried and only then did he realize the full scope of cg art. But I wouldn't consider him an idot for not knowing. That would mean I'm an idiot too because I thought that doing a walk cycle would be pretty simple. I didn't realize it was difficult until after I tried.

As far as money goes, I think that was a bit unfair too. For example, there is no way that I could afford one of the tutorials right now unless someone gave me the money. I don't eat out, I don't smoke, drink, or buy anything that I can hold back on. I have a wife with rheumatoid arthritis who can't work and after being laid off from my job, we can't afford anything right now. If it wasn't for having a great landlord and great friends, we'd be on the streets.

I hope I'm the only one that feels this way though. I think too much was read into Antony82's comments and that it was blown out of proportion. My wife read everyone's comments too and her response was "Whoa!". She was very surpised to read those comments and so was I. I don't know, maybe everyone was just having a bad day and Antony82 was just caught in the middle.

This post is negative so I'll understand if it's removed. I just couldn't read all that without saying something. And I hope you all don't hate me now. It just seemed like a lot of unjustified rudeness for a site that is built on Helpfullness, Encouragement, Teamwork, etc.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

# 11 07-04-2011 , 12:34 AM
SM Tea Boy
@Perfecto your thread wont be removed we don't do that. I think everyone has had there say in this thread, so I'm closing it before it degenerates.

@Antony82 please feel free to start a new thread.

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"