Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-07-2007 , 11:27 AM

Uv mapping woes

Hi,

this is my second attempt and the same thing is happening. I've created a map of this character's torso no problem. Now, I am trying to append to that a UV map of his groin region.

In the image, you can see that I have highlighted an edge of the map. The circle in scene view shows where this edge is on the character- where the torso starts to become the groin area. But as you can see, it is also highlighting several edges on the hand and leg. I've done it twice now, and taken care that I have only selected the correct faces, in the groin. If I select the UV in question, it is the same - it highlights around another 20 UVs, on the hand and foot.

What is happening? (I'm doing this from a tutorial, and following it closely. This is my second uv map, and all was going great until this).

cheers,

gubar.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-07-2007 , 11:42 AM
Ok,

just noticed now that if I select ANY of the UVs in my torso map, it is selecting the UVs in the hand and leg too. In fact, even if I drag over an empty space on the UV window, it selects these vertices. It's ok if I select them in the scene view. The edge on the groin is no longer selecting the edges elsewhere - though I haven't changed anything.

Should I just carry on and map the legs and arm later and this may sort it out?

Also, could having an extensive history that I've not deleted be causing instability?

cheers,

gubar.

# 3 08-07-2007 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
Yeah man delete all the history when modeling is done and before you start UV maping. Beware though that this will also delete any UV projections that you've done so far. Might save you time in the end though. You seem to have very weird things going on here, so I'd recommend it.

Don't worry though, nothing is ever lost. You can also use the transfer tool for UV's between one mesh to another, but sort your geometry problem first.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy

Last edited by AlphaFlyte; 08-07-2007 at 01:27 PM.
# 4 08-07-2007 , 02:15 PM
Still got no idea why it was going mad, but I found a work around. Just selected all the UVs that I had not mapped yet, and deleted them all. Gave me a clean mesh to work with.

Cheers for the heads up about deleting the history before uv mapping.

thanks,

gubar