Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-05-2008 , 09:05 AM

Do you think that this computer would run Maya fine?

Hello,

I recently got Maya 2008, and I'm looking for a computer to go with it.

Should this computer run Maya and other 3D programs alright?

Do you think I could get a computer for a better deal that would be just as good?

One more question I have, on the specifications page, it says Windows Vista Business is required. It would still run on Vista Home, right?

Thank you for your help!

# 2 25-05-2008 , 01:48 PM
yes

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 25-05-2008 , 05:48 PM
Yeah, it will MORE than run it just fine. I'm running a comp with half the RAM, a quarter of the processor power, and an eigth of the video that that thing has and I don't get any abnormal lag. That'll run it just fine.

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 4 26-05-2008 , 04:25 AM
Alright, cool. Can anyone confirm that it will run on Vista Home? Because I don't want to have to get Vista Business if I don't have to.

# 5 30-05-2008 , 09:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Goodness, I'm running Maya 6.5 on a 400Mhz SGI Octane2 with 1Gig Ram and a VPro V8 card (128mb), and it goes great guns! user added image

-J

# 6 30-05-2008 , 10:56 AM
Acid44
i was running 2008 on a dell dimension 1100 with 2.66ghz cpu, 256mb RAM, and a 64mb graffics card so youshould be fine cause i had no problems with ituser added image

# 7 30-05-2008 , 09:22 PM

Originally posted by halfloaf
Goodness, I'm running Maya 6.5 on a 400Mhz SGI Octane2 with 1Gig Ram and a VPro V8 card (128mb), and it goes great guns! user added image

-J

:bow:

I bow before SGI and immolate a million copies of Windows as a testament to His Glory! user added image

Anyways, since you mention that you run an Octane2, would you mind posting a few pics?

It would be great if there a few reminders that Maya originated from Alias when it was part of SGI... I remember talking to a friend about Maya once and he immediately said, "Macs got that first, right?" user added image

Me, "There was once a company that pioneered 3D called S - G - I..."

Yes, I will retreat back into my cave... user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 01-06-2008 , 06:27 AM
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by The Architect
:bow:

I bow before SGI and immolate a million copies of Windows as a testament to His Glory! user added image

Anyways, since you mention that you run an Octane2, would you mind posting a few pics?

It would be great if there a few reminders that Maya originated from Alias when it was part of SGI... I remember talking to a friend about Maya once and he immediately said, "Macs got that first, right?" user added image

Me, "There was once a company that pioneered 3D called S - G - I..."

Yes, I will retreat back into my cave... user added image

Yeah sure! Would you like photos of the unit, or of IRIX (the OS) running Maya?

There is a whole community dedicated to SGI's, mostly the older stuff at NekoChan. The front page is outdated but you can find tons of photos in the gallery, even shots of Alias Wavefront and SoftImage 3.92!!! user added image

Have just finished my first tutorial from the "Alias Learning Series" Foundation for Maya 6.
:attn:

Cheers!

Jacques.

# 9 02-06-2008 , 04:40 PM
Pics of IRIX running Maya would be awesome! user added image

And yeah, I know about NekoChan... cause I spent one week a while ago reading their entire forum, lol.

Btw, just out of curiosity, what graphics does your Octane2 use?

We should start a new thread for this too in the Member's forum... I kinda feel bad for turning this thread into an SGI discussion... user added image

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 10 02-06-2008 , 05:59 PM
Senior Software Developer
Your PC will Run Visat Home quite well. The main problem people have with Vista is the RAM it requires to run it. 1Gb and below you may as well stick with XP, 1.5 to 2Gb it will run but it may be slow in areas. 2Gb and above crack on user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)