Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 121 11-08-2010 , 10:26 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Hi Bullet

Thanks and the hours aren't the worst part, because I always want to get the best out of it, I keep revising the model which costs a lot of time and gives you the feeling that it is not coming along as fast as it should.
but if I look back at page 1 till now it is a decent progress (skillwise that is)

I just spend 5 hours of my life trying to paint a decent handpainted skintexture and without exaggerating... it is very very hard to get it right, which I hope I have.
If someone can give me some pointers it is much appreciateduser added image

See my progress below

C & C is most welcome of course

Attached Thumbnails
# 122 11-08-2010 , 10:48 PM
EduSciVis-er
Lookin' good! To my eye it is quite red, you could ease up on that a fair bit I think. However, for hand painted, the texture itself looks very good. Keep the hard work!

# 123 11-08-2010 , 11:10 PM
Lifetime Member
I think thats the Zbrush standard colour isnt it stwert...I know Mayaniacs are that colour until he appllies the correct texture etc????

Looks good mastone...really does look the biz as my English friends would say.

Textures....wellllll I cant help there BUT with the tablet I have acquired it is easier. I tend to get a real photo and whack it in the corner on a seperate layer and use the eyedropper to get heaps of colours. I get each colour and paint a cirle in like a bar next to the picture....that way when I need the colour I want I get the SAME one I originall picked, follow me?????

So I will end up with maybe 10 painted eyedrop circles for my palette, then I guess mate...just experiment. I watched Kurt a few times (he is rather good) and do the light to dark thing (which I do remember from school).

I wish you all the best in that regard!

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 124 12-08-2010 , 08:09 AM
Hi Guys

Yes stwert it is quite red you are right, it looked right on my monitor yesterday night but that could be because of sleep deprivation user added image
I did a quick n' dirty coloradjustment in PS

And bullet yes Zbrush starts with red clay as default but this is a matcap skin 05 shader with opacity set to 80%

I never use the redclay i tend to use a grey lambert like shader so that i can see the details better and switch to a skinlike shader when i am finishing it.

I paint textures with mottling passes and based on color temperatures of the face (blue is cool red is warm)

I will do some blue colorwashes when i get back home today ( still 7 hours to go LOL)

Attached Thumbnails
# 125 12-08-2010 , 09:53 AM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 126 12-08-2010 , 10:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Well all I can say is WOW and you have the ear done really well!!! Now he loks just a little worn out LOL

Good job for sure

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 127 12-08-2010 , 10:25 AM
The Nurb Herd
this is looking good. I agree it looks a little red,but its not a difficult fix. I'm really seeing the likeness.
I think there is a bit of an issue with the proportions, either that or his clothes are a few sizes to big for him.

# 128 12-08-2010 , 11:06 AM
Oh also watch the material that you are using in Z, once back into maya it will look different as the Zmaterials properties wont be there.

I painted my Burns in Z, the following pics in the WIP thread may help out.

https://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...5&pagenumber=5

Check out your map with the flat colour to see any problem areas where the skin may be not quite there and the zskin is masking it.

Are you going for SSS in maya with it?

# 129 12-08-2010 , 11:38 AM
The thin red line
I think you can bake the shaders in zbrush but they want be quite the same...............dave

# 130 12-08-2010 , 01:09 PM
Hi Guys

@Gster: I have that book already that was the book I was working from , finally a to the point book right?
It doesn't make it an easier task to do however, it's hard to keep a clear overview of what you are doing and at some pint you think; let's slam some more redon it and that is the point you have to take a break right? LOL

And I was indeed switching between flat color and the skin material to get the look I wanted, but it didn't work out to well user added image, I hope I get my license for Zbrush 4 soon so I can use GOZ to do a testrender( does anyone know if this works as they say it does?)
And I am trying to get my head around the sss shader because I want to go the whole nine yards as they say.
And I really liked the mr burns you did, did you ever finish it the way you liked?

@Bullet:
I think I"ll give him a brown tint to make it look as if he is on holiday user added image

@Hammer:
Thanks and the clothes are the same size as shown in previous posts, the only thing that might throw you off is the fact that the jacket layer is on at the moment and that is still unaltered in Zbrush, I tend to scale up clothing and such so I can drape it around the mesh ,, saw that Zbrush 4 has a brush with which you can sculpt towards the source mesh so maybe I will have a go with that thinguser added image once I have my licens that is

@ dave: Once I have Z4 up and running I can use GOZ to switch back and forth with greater ease( importing and exporting OBJ's is not something I have fun with)and I believe it plugs in everything the right way in maya( with displacement and color but that could be bollocks off course.
But if nothing works I will do the baking user added image

Thanks for watching and the remarks thanks guysuser added image

# 131 12-08-2010 , 01:29 PM
Oh and Bullet; I used to model ears in Maya with Nurbs, that was hell, doing it in Z is so, so much simpler user added image

# 132 12-08-2010 , 02:42 PM
You can export as mb in 3.5, I've not touched Z for ages tbh, not had the time, but I remember exporting as .mb in it i'm sure. It was manual and I think that it borught textures over and such on a blinn.

You need to have a bout 5-6 goes of texture painting that way before you get your head round it.

# 133 12-08-2010 , 02:55 PM
Lifetime Member
In NURBS!!!! are you mad man!!!!! Crikey thats a bloody decent way to punish thyself!!!

Cheers bullet

holiday?? oh holiday sigh

bullet1968

# 134 14-08-2010 , 10:35 AM
Yes bullet...NURBS

Finally I got Z4 activated and played around with it for a while yesterday testing out GOZ and some other stuff and I love it, th emore I play with Zbrush the more a feel i get for it.

And Gster you're quite right about switching back and forth I really never knew you could open a MB file in Zbrush, but I like the automated obj import/export called GOZ, I tweak some in Maya go back to Zbrush up the geo levels and it still retains the details, I think this will considerably speed up a lot of workflows.

I love the other stuff as well, although I hardly use Zspheres and such ( I suck at it when i think i move forward it moves inside aswell really annoying)

Anywho... here is some doodling I did in Z4 last night, not much progress, but I was really happy I finally got Z4 to work and played with it user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 135 14-08-2010 , 10:46 AM
The thin red line
What sort of shader are you getting in maya, is it trying to replicate zbrush?..............dave