Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 14-03-2004 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber

Patch/Stitching Problems

I am currently working on my first patch head. It looks pretty decent so far, but I can still see some seams in the workspace view, and they become apparent in a rendered shot as well.
I was wondering if anyone can help me figure out what the problem is or at least what I can do to remedy the situation.

# 2 14-03-2004 , 09:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
that's mostly dependant on the quality of the stitch and tessellation.

# 3 14-03-2004 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
I've tried each of the stitches, even I think a combination of them, and I still see them. I guess it's just frustrating because when I convert the head to polys, I can still see the seams even after combining,merging and making sure the normals are all the same way.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 4 14-03-2004 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
Hmmm... this is similar to the problem I posted a thread about in the Nurbs section of SM. I still haven't gotten any help on it. lol.

As for your problem, some of the things I tried for my nurbs might help you even if they didn't help me....

Try going into the attributes and changing the tesselation to highest quality and then 5 for the divisions. If you did any trimming or filleting for any of your surfaces, you might try going into the history (INPUTS under the channel box when you select an item) and setting the tolerance to a lower value.

Hope you figure out your problem though.... (and I hope I can figure mine out as well. lol =P)

# 5 16-03-2004 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
I figured it out. It was the tessellation. I just smoothed it out and it rendered out without the seams showing, finally. Thanks.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 6 16-03-2004 , 03:05 AM
Subscriber
mmm.... wish the tesselation were the problem I had.... it's not though because I've messed around with it already...