Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-11-2004 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber

Velociraptor... I HOPE !

Hi guys.. I am trying to model a Velociraptor please tell me HONESTLY what you think and any tips or comments welcome.
At the moment i havn`t modeled the body/tail much so thats why they don`t look right but i`m working on it.
I modeled it on a wooden model i brought and took a side and a front photo to base it on.
Thanks in advance....

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 03-11-2004 , 10:45 PM
Honestly, right now it looks more like the startings for a Compy than a Raptor. It's neck looks much too snake like, it'd be more stiff. It also looks like it's hunched too much in the forward view.

# 3 03-11-2004 , 10:46 PM
Also, it's tail is way too wide. It'd taper down a lot more, it should be more cyllendrical, not rectangular. same with the legs.

# 4 03-11-2004 , 10:47 PM
Not to bad mate... Just more proportion issues.. I've attached adino I modeled for you too look at. Ii's not a raptor but close should be able to see shape a bit more.

Attached Thumbnails

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 04-11-2004 , 12:10 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the replies guys.
I have attached a pic of the wooden model that i am basing it on with the ghost of what i have done so far.
I know the body is way out and the tail is but i havn`t touched them much.
And i`m glad i`m not the only one to think it looks more like a compy but i`m working on that.
I`m a REAL newbe as you can tell but i have been getting into 3d for about a month and on this model for just about a week so i think i am doing quite well at the mo.
Thanks for the pic Kurt, gives me some thing to work on and if you don`t mind me asking but how long does it take roughly to make a model like that ? I know i got a LONG way to go yetuser added image
As i have said this is a very basic model at the mo but i`m getting there.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-11-2004 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
Hi, sorry for no updates YET !!! watch this space as thanks to Kurts dragon video tutorial i am doing a total re-model at the moment to see if i can do it based on his way.
A GREAT Tutorial Kurt, Thanks.

# 7 06-11-2004 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber
Looks a little wide aswell.

# 8 09-11-2004 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
After almost a week i`m almost there apart from the detail part.
I`ve been watching Kurts Dragon tutorial and basicly started from scratch with a whole new model. See what you think guys and any comments welcome. I`ve YET to stich the model as one that is why there is a gap on the head. From the side it looks pritty good if i do say so myself, just the front view looks a bit naff but i`m working on it. Thanks Kurt for your dragon tutorial, it`s great, i`ve got all parts for the body but only got parts 1 & 2 of the head tutorial at the mo.
I`ve modeled around the Jurassic Park 3 raptors this time not on the wooden model. Tell me what you think so far.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 09-11-2004 , 08:35 PM
Subscriber
The Front....

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 09-11-2004 , 08:37 PM
Subscriber
And the Persp.
Fogot to say, He has no teeth or gums in yet but he is going to the dentist any day now.....

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 09-11-2004 , 08:54 PM
Subscriber
That's looking really good, good idea to ditch the wooden model reference. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing teeth and colour,

Mat.

# 12 09-11-2004 , 09:20 PM
Subscriber
Looks much better than your first attempt, good work. The arms look a little too muscely atm, try and make them slightly skinnyer.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 13 10-11-2004 , 02:39 PM
It looks good so far, but I think the head just needs to be a tad smaller, and the neck a little more elongated (but not as elongated as in the first attempt at your Velociraptor). Also, I think the arms need to be a little thinner as well. Ahhh...brings back old memories of all of the velociraptor artworks I did. :cheeky:

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 14 17-11-2004 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
Hi again, sorry not too much of an update just a bit more detail, have made arms and the head smaller and done the teeth and the tounge but the jaw is shut at the mo so i have done a render of the inside to show. The tounge will be done proper when i merge the whole lot together. I am going to atempt the texturing part to see what it looks like then and then maybe add more detail then. Thanks for the comments guys all helps.

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 17-11-2004 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber
And the teeth.

Attached Thumbnails