Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-01-2006 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber

misunderstanding the chrome shader from Highend3d

Hi there all,
It's me again; the pain in the butt. I got this question though. A couple of days ago I found a thread in here where someone had asked that he found a pre-built chrome shader. He then asked how was it done. A few others replied asking why was he asking this question when he could of just look in the hypershade editor to see how it was done. Now I can see in some respects why they would answer in such a way, but in other respects by being a newbie to this style of rendering, looking at all of the nodes in the hypershade can be very confusing. So I would like to add on my questions in here.

First of all, my biggest question for the day is that I notice there is a place3dTexture in the scene with a bunch of planes, and 2 big wired circles. I never seen this before considering that the futherest that I ever got into 3d placement textures, they were applied to one of the channels on your object, but not by itself in the scene. So I am asking if anyone could help me out that deals with this method of 3d placement maps, such as how do you apply such a thing to itself, and what is this for? In addition, when I place a 3d placement texture onto my object, I get a cube. However, all of the 6 sided planes are on one axis. How is this done?

Oh yeah, by the way, I found this shader at Highend3D