Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 20-11-2006 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber

light attenuation

Hi there,
I found this nice tutorial at 3dkingdom.com on lighting. However, the problem is that it talks about changing the start and end values of the attenuation in a omni light, which is simular to the Maya point light. Now the closest thing I could find in Maya 6.0 is the shadow attenuation which, so I heard, is found in the objects raytrace properties. Therefore, this means not only does this not have any effect with point lights, it also means that you would have to render in mental ray. However, the purpose of the tutorial is to show you that you do not need mental ray, brazil, or v-ray. So my question is does anybody know what is the simular property for attenuation when using point lights in Maya?

# 2 21-11-2006 , 01:21 PM
post the tutorial and i'm sure someone can 'translate'

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 22-11-2006 , 10:19 AM
I would think you're talking about falloff.

Shadow attenuation is how the shadow will falloff over distance. Post the tute though so that we can confirm it for you.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 24-11-2006 , 08:47 AM
Subscriber
Sure no problem, and appreciate your help. Here is the link

https://3dkingdom.org/index.php?name=...rticle&sid=522

oh, btw, the first couple of pictures I think are just for explaination about other methods or something like that. However, what ever it may be, what I am tring to say is that the actual tutorial does not start until further down the page.

Last edited by junkyBob; 24-11-2006 at 08:52 AM.