Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-04-2007 , 02:06 PM
Subscriber

Rendering Nurbs Curves?

I'm vector rendering a solar system and my planetary orbits are nurbs curves. I'd like to render them as vector outlines, but the toon outline doesn't seem to work with curves. Anyone have an idea of how to do this? Thanks!

# 2 13-04-2007 , 02:34 PM
can you not just remake the planetary orbits by extruding a small nurbs circle along your nurbs curves? - that way you would have something that would render.

# 3 13-04-2007 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
can you not just remake the planetary orbits by extruding a small nurbs circle along your nurbs curves? - that way you would have something that would render.

Thanks for the response. I'd like to give that a try...however I'm a bit of a newbie, could you give me a short explanation of how to do that (if it's not too much trouble)?

I selected an isoparm and clicked extrude, but Maya reported an error specifying a need for two NURBS curves (profile then path).

# 4 13-04-2007 , 03:15 PM
yeah - I am a bit of noob when it comes to nurbs too. i think you want to create a circle, select it and then select the nurbs curve and go to extrude and play with the options... not sure of the exact settings though. :blush:

# 5 13-04-2007 , 03:19 PM
Subscriber
Thank you very very much. I did some research and found a tutorial that uses the technique you're describing.

https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutori...ating/221.html

I made a second nurbs circle, rotated it upright, and extruded it along the other. I can adjust the thickness of the line by scaling the radius of the rotated circle. Thanks again for your help! user added image

# 6 13-04-2007 , 03:24 PM
good! - i'm glad you figured it out. thanks for posting that link and explaining how you did it.
user added image