Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 256 17-03-2012 , 05:30 PM
Just something to keep this somewhat active. This is a shot of the chinook in cryengine 3, is now fully set up with 2 lods and flying around which has certainly made myself and the 2 other video game pros who are assisting me with this pretty stoked. Character is in also and we are currently setting up phonemes etc and hope to have a decent vid together in about 2-3 weeks time. Likely be nothing in the way of updates till we get the vid done but hopefully it wont be to long a wait.

Cheers

user added image

user added image

# 257 17-03-2012 , 05:39 PM
2 others, interior will look a lot better once we hit some lights in there and fill it with marines etc.

user added image

user added image

Last edited by leonlabyk; 17-03-2012 at 05:43 PM.
# 258 17-03-2012 , 05:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
Sweeeeeet. (a few extra e's to get past the message length min) user added image

# 259 17-03-2012 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
Yeah user added image nice one.

Did you find you had to adjust any of your maps from those that looked good in maya? Due to the different renderer...?
Had you used 8k maps on this originally like the tank?

# 260 18-03-2012 , 01:42 AM
Cheers Guys,

Textures are at 4k at the mo which is fine for cinematic purposes but will need to go down to 2k for in game stuff. Looks good when running around the beast, shooting out glass etc.

# 261 19-03-2012 , 04:12 AM
Lifetime Member
nice Leon....I will be watching and checking you out...I have assets that need to be imported into our engine shortly...I must admit the texture colour change is quite dramatic...I have had trouble with this in our game...it looks great in Maya then it seems to change quite a bit in the engine...more study for me.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 262 19-03-2012 , 08:27 PM

hmmm

This whole game thing is somewhat surreal at times. Just makes me laugh to think back and remember me ending the wolf thing as really the true starting point to all of this...

# 263 20-03-2012 , 01:53 AM
Indeed Bullet, I am still getting my head around it all but am making good progress thanks to some really great guys who are assisting me with this. What engine are you working with for your assets Bullet and shoot me an email with any questions and I will do my best to help.

HAHA! yeah the wolf is truly dead thank the lord, M-4 is at 25k with all the assets which is a bit high really but damn it looks perty. Really glad you got me off the wolf bud. Keep it rocking Collin and catch you on skype soon.

# 264 20-03-2012 , 02:23 AM
Can you explain how you set up your contour renders? Stage, lights, and render setting?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 20-03-2012 at 02:35 AM.
# 265 20-03-2012 , 02:27 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL yes its hard leon....Im using HeroEngine. I have had quite a bit of trouble with spec as it shines like a bloody bitch in the engine. I think I have that sussed now with Crazybump...but now I am having trouble with that crashing when I load an OBJ...LOL it never bloody ends. I hope to have the hi res models done on some static assets this week, then UV map>normals etc and upload....currently Im the only artist as the other guys dropped out. Something I expect as its all commision work...and getting people to do work is hard...though I dont mind..for me its all part of the learning curev...and its free..even if I dont get tutors to help..LOL. Thanks for the offer..Im sure I will PM eventually bahaha

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 266 20-03-2012 , 10:45 AM
Hi ctbram, my contour renders are set up real basic to be honest. I just use a mental ray physical light set up, + always go into the hypershade>Utilities and open the mia_exposure node and lower the gamma down to 1.333. I then simply assign a Blinn to the object and open the shading group of the blinn, under the mental ray tab I enable contour rendering and adjust the width and change the color. Then under the features in my render setting I enable contour rendering, set the over-sample to 30 or 60 ish for a final quality render, filter type gaussian and filter support 2.

for draw by property difference I check around poly faces, between diff instance, between diff materials, between diff labels and front vs.back face contours.

For draw by sample contrast I just set the normal contrast to 7.

Got this useful piece of knowlege of Christophe Desse as he is the man when it comes to getting toon style renders using these methods. Is deff worth fiddling with the settings as you can get some great stuff going on.

Hope this helps.

Cheers bullet just sending you a reply now bud and good luck with it all. Will help with any advice I can give you matey.

Last edited by leonlabyk; 20-03-2012 at 10:47 AM.
# 267 20-03-2012 , 02:44 PM
Thanks Leon, it's all the draw by property settings that I was curious about. It's another one of those things in Mental Ray that is very POORLY documented.

So basically you turn on just about everything, except the one that I have been using (around poly faces) as it seemed to make the most sense. But the downside is you really cannot use that setting on a smoothed model.

I have been looking for a way to get a decent wireframe on a smoothed model and so I will give those settings a try and will have to try to read through the description of all those draw by property settings again to try and wrap my head around how they generate what youa re getting.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 268 20-03-2012 , 03:05 PM
I stand corrected, you do use around all poly aces?!?

So you do not smooth? I mean even a cube when preview smoothed (2 subdivision levels) ends up with 96 faces (16x6) and that is assuming you have no support edges? I see very round shapes and no discernible faceting so I am assuming you smooth.

What has me baffled is how you are getting clean wires without all the smoothed poly faces edges???

# 269 20-03-2012 , 03:30 PM
Where is the mia_exposure node you mention? Is it created with the physical sky feature or do you have to add it. When you say "physical sky setup" do you mean more then just enabling the phys sun and sky feature and setting the ray direction?

My results are really blown out so I am guessing I need to find that mia_exposure node.

Last edited by ctbram; 20-03-2012 at 03:34 PM.
# 270 20-03-2012 , 07:02 PM
The Nurb Herd
should be attached to your camera.