Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 26-05-2003 , 06:07 PM
Subscriber

Render problems

I'm having trouble rendering my animation i Maya 4. I have a few very simple frames, but they only render part of the image, then an exception occurs and the rendering aborts. I believe this started happening after I added some fur to my character. Does anyone here know if this is a known bug in Maya 4, and if there is some work around?

from the logfile:
/*****/
Time For Tessellation (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:09
Time For Shadow Map (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:00
Time For Post Process (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:00
Time For Frame Render (hh:mm:ss): 00:00:10
Finished Rendering C:/Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents/maya/projects/default/images/mussen.59.tga
Automatic near/far clipping values: 0.1, 198.724.
Result: C:/Documents and Settings/My Name/My Documents/maya/projects/default/images/mussen.60.tga
Constructing shading groups.
Rendering current frame.
Error: An exception has occurred, rendering aborted.
Frame triangle count: 151376
/*****/

# 2 26-05-2003 , 06:24 PM
Subscriber
the only thing that comes to my mind is memory.

# 3 26-05-2003 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
I don't seem to have a memory problem. Maya don't even use half of the available memory when rendering (though it uses 100% CPU).

I have to correct my description above: it doesn't seem to be related to my character having fur. When I remove the fur, I still have the same problem.

# 4 26-05-2003 , 07:06 PM
Run Render Diagnotics from the Render menu. Does it generate any warnings or errors?

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 5 26-05-2003 , 07:14 PM
Subscriber
The Render Diagnostics is a neat feature, thank you for pointing me to it. Yes, it has a lot of warnings. They all go in the style of "nurbsSphereShape4Orig has no shading group associated with it. This means that it will not be rendered. Please assign it to a shading group". I guess I have to learn about shading groups.