Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 09-10-2003 , 09:10 PM

attaching the head

#1. i have a head already skinned (smooth binding) with a rotating jaw bone.

#2. Then i aslo have a body already skinned. (smooth binding also)

Is there a CORRECT way to parent the two body parts together AND also edit the smooth binding afterwards?????
When i connect the two body parts togther, it will not allow me to paint weights from the body to the head, or vice-versa. So for example, the neck and the shoulders could not deform together correctly.

I hope yous understand.
thanks in advance.
any suggestions or theories would be helpful.

# 2 11-10-2003 , 03:44 AM
hey bro, I'm not sure if this helps or if it's right

as far as i understand

One whole mesh has a total skin weight of 1 distributed from 0(black) to 1(white). so two seperate meshes would have a total weight of2. I don't think two meshes can share the 1 weighting.

If they are seperate and skined then you gotta paint wieghts seperatly. could have few problems.

If you unskin and connect the head to the body into one mesh.(vertex welding) then reskin. all should be better.

If you want to keep them seperate then cover the seam with something (like a collar)

hope this is sorta what you were afta

xian

# 3 14-10-2003 , 09:56 PM
HI STRYTUS!!
It's Steve. Sorry I've been outta touch. How are you!? I haven't seen you since you went to the West for your internship. We should get in touch. I may be able to help you with some of the issues that you're running into re: rigging/binding. You can alter the weights on a smooth bound character. Use the Component editor and tab over to the skin weights. Turn off show all columns --so that only the bones that have an influence on the head will appear. Also, use prune the small weights to cull nuisance weights on the skin clusters. In order to fully handle your problem, I would have to see the character rig. Also, remember that when you rig areas where there will be multiple deformations, you'll need to group the groups to supply a new deformation node. It avoids double transformations. Hopefully, we can get together soon. I hope you are well SS! Talk to ya soon! By the way, most of the books out there only half cover the TD area and they are usually incomplete.

# 4 15-10-2003 , 04:28 AM
hey steve how are you? I fixed my problem, kind of, but it'll have to do right now. Yes we definitely have to meet up. My email address is currently strytus@aol.com. I'm graduating this quarter, and you have to see my work it has greatly improved. Email me back at my address and i am currently on the east coast.