Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-11-2003 , 02:53 AM

Anime character

user added image

user added image

I made this low-poly model for a game

# 2 04-12-2003 , 08:02 AM
Subscriber
ummm, well... (scratches head) i.. see, i think, uh, i mean it's , it's , well shoot, umm...
it, it has colors. that's good, and, and ...arms are cool too. uh i mean,, i mean... if u really stare at him/her/it.. it's kinda cool looking,,,, of sorts, and he's got eyes, yes, eyes are always a plus. looks ok for low poly... i guess, but that's super low poly tho!!
who am i kidding. i'm still a n00b myself. keep @ it man.
an expert is someone who's made all the possible mistakes. just keep practicing.:p

Last edited by vladimirjp; 04-12-2003 at 08:04 AM.
# 3 04-12-2003 , 09:30 AM
Subscriber
Hi.. just seen this. I'm not in the know that much for lowpoly, so I don't know much about how the model is doing in that deparment.. I'm gessing its looking good.. maybe we could see a wire ? I think a bit more work on the texture though could help out. What you have is nice.. but couldn't some detail be added ? I don't know if you have a limet your trying to keep under on the texture size so.. but you could put a little darkness around the sides of the chease to help it look more a smoother round even though its low poly for game.

cheers. keep up the good work.

# 4 05-12-2003 , 05:25 PM
Wth? You could at least try to make it look more like, something. I mean, if you want him to be buff and burly, then at least drag some of those vertices out so he isn't so flat. Alot could be done without increasing the polys.

On the other hand, I really like your texture! Good work.

# 5 05-12-2003 , 05:37 PM
gt4u
This model is ****ing horrible. It looks like something out of a video tutorial about "How to not use maya". There's no way you can positively comment on this piece of garbage, other then say "sorry, this sucks, please try again"

Wait... well... it does have good colors.. NOT
hmm... good textures... NOT
keep up the good work! (good work?)

# 6 05-12-2003 , 06:10 PM
gt4u, plz dont be so rude towards other peoples work like that, its one thing to give constructive comments but another to try and rip work and the artist apart.

The whole idea of this community is to help one another as far as teaching and encouragement, not to ram little things wrong YOU see down there throat.

This work might be Slenkar first attempt at low poly modeling and other then a few proportional issuses its not bad.

Its takes a great deal of pride in one's self and work to post up on these forums, and for that every artist deserves respect and CONSRTUCTIVE CRITS, not members who are just out to flame.

In the future watch your comments, if you dont have anything constructive to say to dont say it.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 7 05-12-2003 , 09:15 PM
yeh this is my first model and it wasnt even rendered it was just the normal view of the textured model.

Its out of proportion on purpose for a cartoony look.
Also the facial expression is purposefully goofy because the character is insane in the game.

The texture has obvious seams which I plan to fix later on.

The hands have no detail whatsover in polygons they are just the ends of the arms painted a fleshy color to look like fists.
This was to save on the all important polygon count for low-end users.

Also most modellers tend to always model men with a certain body shape, lean,6 foot tall and muscular.
In the real world there really are people who are proportioned SIMILARLY to this model, I have met many people who are short and stocky. How many models in games and art are short and stocky? Not many, everyone seems to go after this 'ideal' body shape which is boring.

Last edited by Slenkar; 05-12-2003 at 09:21 PM.
# 8 05-12-2003 , 10:14 PM
I would love to meet someone like that. No neck, long flat shoulders, no knees, flat legs. I've never seen anyone like that before in my life. Just work on the proportions a bit and it will be fine.

# 9 05-12-2003 , 10:25 PM
Subscriber
Flack, I was wandering how about you post some links to your models so we can have a look ?

# 10 05-12-2003 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber
How many polys is it? and have you triangulated (i can't spell) it?
For a character you can have between 1000 and 3000 polys i think.

# 11 05-12-2003 , 10:38 PM
Subscriber
Also have a look at mtmckinleys site for his low poly character tutorial. He's probably the best low poly modeller on this site.

Also i'd get this moved to the W.I.P

# 12 05-12-2003 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
# 13 06-12-2003 , 12:13 AM
Kevin
gt4u - for a first post your quite a prick!

goodbye

# 14 06-12-2003 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
Well, it is important to know what were you trying ti achive. I'll say it like this: It's kinda,em,interesting, but needs a lot of work. But as I said, it depends what were your goals, if it was to be cartoony like,well, then it's not that bad. But in any case go and find some tutorials, you will learn a lot from them. Lets say you want to make a realistic sexy woman. find a picture of that woman. Draw qiuck side and front picture and put them in the scene. Then observe the picture with the woman, and see how muscles are going, observe her boobies (user added image),how big are her legs, follow muscles on the leg, etc.Just observe.And you'll get better with the time. I'm a noob too and I try to improve myself and what I told you works for me. Verry slowly, but it works.

So, just practise and never ever don't be to hard on yourself. If you think you sucks, well,you don't.Every one here without exceptions madde models like this at the begging, and even much worster.
I know I made something similar when I made my first model of human. But I'm getting better and so will you. Just practise, practise, practise.

Damn, I've been to long now. In short: not bad model, but need some work. So keep up practising user added image

# 15 08-12-2003 , 06:48 AM
haha. I like this guy.

It brightened up my night, especially after studying for exams.

Only thing I would do to this model is add some angles to him to make it more dynamic and give him some character. Like the shoulders, either rising or slanting, and scale down the waste/hip a bit to accentuate those huge shoulders even more.

good job.

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus