Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 10-12-2011 , 02:30 AM
Technical Director
A mag for a car? It helps to be explicit. To me a "mag" means "magazine".

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 62 10-12-2011 , 03:16 AM
EduSciVis-er
Even the most fundamental and basic Maya tuts go over commands like duplicate special. In fact the very first introductory tutorial that comes with the Maya doc goes over rotating duplicates of an object around an axis, exactly like your problem here. I'm not trying to be rude, but I think you'd save yourself so much time and trouble if you invested in watching some tuts. There are free ones out there.

I and others are more than willing to help you out when you run into problems, but when it comes to the basic functions of Maya's interface and commands, it becomes difficult to keep answering. Particularly since you spent so much time trying to get someone to make new tutorials for "crossing over". Stop assuming that the workflow is exactly the same and all the tools have analogues. Watch some Maya tutorials and learn how Maya functions.

Again, sorry if that was blunt, don't mean to be offensive. It's not the first time I've tried to make this point.

# 63 10-12-2011 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber
oh sorry Yes it's a Mag for a car that I am working on, sorryuser added image

# 64 10-12-2011 , 07:39 PM
Technical Director

oh sorry Yes it's a Mag for a car that I am working on, sorryuser added image

You misunderstood what I meant. I have no idea what a "mag for a car" is.

# 65 10-12-2011 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
NextDesign- Some call it Rim - Mag or even Wheel. It's the silver chrome thing that holds the tire in place "Mag Wheel".

Sorry for that mix up. I will be more specif.

I am finding as I read and go through all of this. The names of such functions are throwing me off I'm finding. However I am doing some serious reading through the documents.

Thanks,

user added image

# 66 14-12-2011 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
23- Rigging Questionuser added image.

Ok I know this may seem very simple for some of you, However is it smart to Riggin a character before Texturing It. I am curious about this?

If so or not can someone explain the negatives vs the positives of the step.

I am asking this not to jump ahead of Texturing. However for prepping purposes to have in place ahead of time if this was possible.

Like if I rigged a character up, place this rig on a separate Layer to hold in place so once the Texturing was done I could come back to the Rigg and go into the animating it. Or is this a no no and because of why?

Just curious here.user added image

Thanksuser added image

# 67 14-12-2011 , 02:43 AM
EduSciVis-er
I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I wouldn't bind the skin to the rig before at least laying out the UVs and applying a placeholder texture. You could make the rig separate from the geo, then texture it, and then bind the rig to the geo... I think that might be an appropriate workflow. You might run into problems doing the texturing after the binding and painting weights etc. is complete, however, again, not 100% sure on that.

# 68 14-12-2011 , 03:45 AM
Technical Director

However is it smart to Riggin a character before Texturing It. I am curious about this?

No, you texture the model before binding. Anything that's added on afterwards has to be calculated per-frame, instead of just once. It may also cause texture drifting, and a whole bunch of other nasty problems. The model, and textures should be 100% complete before rigging. You may however modify the shader after rigging.

# 69 14-12-2011 , 09:42 AM
Subscriber
NextDesign- Thanks for clearing that up for me.