Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 05-09-2006 , 01:01 AM

Weird Rendering Issue

I'm modeling a simple cube like object, when i render it it renders fine:

user added image

I then convert the object to subD's, and back to polygons, the object looks the same in the viewport, but some weird shadowing apears on the object's surface, when i render it out, I get a really weird result:

user added image

can someone explain this?

# 2 05-09-2006 , 10:59 AM
simple explanation: your normals are messed up.

Complex - now, the real problem is what you want the thing to look like. if its supposed to be all hard edged, the fix is simple. select the object, click through "Edit Polygons -> [edit] Normals -> Soften/Harden" (I don't have maya open, so I'm a little unsure of the exact titles, but its something like that). Depending on what you have your defaults set to for that command, the look may or may not change, but either way a new node shode have been created - 'polySoften' or somesuch. Click in there, and there should be a number between 0 and 180. 180 is smooth and rounded, 0 is hard and sharp edged. Change as desired.

You can also use this command to modify individual faces, edges, and vertices. Keep in mind, though, that you're almost always going to want to do your smooth normals before your hardened ones (because of the way things seem to flow with them). Anyways, experiment!

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 3 05-09-2006 , 12:15 PM
Great explanation, thanks a lot!
Now that you speak of it, I seem to remember I have already used the soften/harden command... anyways now that I now that nothings wrong with the geometry itself (vertices/edges/faces-wise) my heart can be at ease again user added image
I had a problem with double geometry too using the convert commands (I think this was the cause, not sure), still don't know why that was either.

anyway thanks a bunch, that helped a lot user added image