Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-07-2003 , 01:44 AM
Subscriber

Paint Baldness to hair attr. Sweet, but where ?

# 2 22-07-2003 , 12:11 PM
Subscriber
fur->paint fur attribute tool

then it works like any other (attribute) paint tool in maya.

# 3 22-07-2003 , 01:09 PM
it can be a hard to paint it really cleanly though, well that's what I found in the end. You tend to get stray hairs where you dont want them. If you can I would make a proxy object of where you want your fur and then paint the fur on there rather than on the main model. Then make the proxy non renderable but leave the hair to render obviously user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 22-07-2003 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
pure morning, you can paint very exactly if you dont paint inside maya, but use the "map" tab in paint settings. there you can import and export maps (just normal images). works just like applying a texture - and can be as accurate as your 2d paint program allows (e.g. photoshop) user added image

# 5 22-07-2003 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
I don't recall the paint fur attribute tool to allow you paint bald texture maps. what it does is allow you to control the fur. eg comp the hair out of youe eyes.

To do baldness or even color I use the 3d paint tool in the textures menu. What I do is mark those spots with Maya paint tool than take that texture into photoshop to fix. I always get the same problem pure morning mentioned. To fix this I convert the texture to bitmap than back to rgb.

I have attached an example. All bald spots around mouth eyes and feet are texture maps that are connected to the fur disc.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 23-07-2003 , 02:37 AM
Subscriber
can anyone kindly give a brief tutorial to a NOO-B ... please :-)

# 7 23-07-2003 , 02:39 AM
Subscriber
on how to map fur attr (like baldness as mentioned by mr. duck, mr. morning and mr. roach) with texture maps

# 8 27-07-2003 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
on how to map fur attr (like baldness as mentioned by mr. duck, mr. morning and mr. roach) with texture maps

did not come back to this thread as i thought i said it already.

if you go to the paint fur attribute tool and open the tool settings a tab with "map" is there (one of many tabs). in there you can browse a image file for import. if you want to export, it is the same, only that you have to specify how big the file size should be while exporting.

if you need it more detailed, let me know, and i make some screenshots for you ...

# 9 28-07-2003 , 03:20 AM
Subscriber
babyDuck, thanx for the reply, but i have tried messing with the "map attr" features quite a bit, but nonetheless i can't fully achieve desired results, maybe if you have the time*** you can post a brief tutorial, thanx very much.

# 10 28-07-2003 , 10:26 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
babyDuck, thanx for the reply, but i have tried messing with the "map attr" features quite a bit, but nonetheless i can't fully achieve desired results, maybe if you have the time*** you can post a brief tutorial, thanx very much.

are you sure maya is the right software for you? no i dont try to make you look bad- i just dont understand why you are not able to archieve desired results. i cannot help you become a better artist - maybe you can go to a drawing and/or 3d school ??

what particular problem do you have with the mapping of an attribute? really easy way to do is use artisan, and paint some features, then to export that in an image file - open up in paint program and use the features as reference, but painting out a bit better. if you then import again, you will have a better solution than you might have been able to paint with artisan.

# 11 28-07-2003 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
and also, have a look in this thread - that uses baldness to create a checkerboard fur.

# 12 28-07-2003 , 07:07 PM
ok i can see that babyduck is getting a little frustrated here so let me explain what he means! user added image

go to photoshop and create a new pic 512 x 512. Then flood it with white. Then make a circle selection in the middle and flood this black. Then save this as a tif.

Now go to maya and create a nurbs plane. Now goto fur>>attach fur description. you should see some fur sticking up from the plane. Now (with the plane selected) goto fur>>paint attributes>>option box. From here set the fur attribute to baldness.

Now in the paint menu find the tab baby duck mentioned called "map". Click browse and find your map that you created earlier. Open it up. Your fur should now look like the map with now fur where the black circle is user added image you may need to hit reload to get it to work 100%

Attached Thumbnails

IMDB
# 13 28-07-2003 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
thanx morning....was that so hard BabyDuck or should i say CRAZYDUCK, i never used "fur' b4, i just upgraded to maya unlmtd, i just use to model the hair. all i needed was a brief fur 101 to get me started, i did not mean to get anyone fustrated. i thought this was the purpose of these forums- help eachother out-
i think i adressed my question in a nice way as possible, there was no need for any rudeness.

Last edited by vladimirjp; 03-02-2006 at 06:22 PM.
# 14 29-07-2003 , 12:14 AM
emmm i dont think he'll appreciate the tone mate user added image he was only trying to help. "And germans will be germans"? gotta be careful what you say to peeps on the board.

the question was fine i think it wasnt answered in a suitable way for a beginner with fur user added image anyways problem solved right? user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 15 29-07-2003 , 09:34 AM
Subscriber
thanks pure morning.

but now i am really confused. i might not have the wordings exactly as pure morning, but basically i said the same (yes maybe a bit shortcutted). i was not rude in my replys - at least i did not try to be rude. and now that is enough of my rant here user added image let me justify it a bit better before going back to "eating newbies for breakfast":

vladimirjp, you say you just upgraded to unlimited. that is really ok. and it means that you had complete (or PLE) before - and i expect (maybe that is my big mistake) that if you upgrade to unlimited, that you are comfortable with the way maya handles things as you had complete features before.

now fur is something differant then anything else in maya, but not really. yes fur has a lot of advanced features. unlike cloth you dont have to master ALL of the attributes of fur. you just click fur and it looks relatively good. if you want it to look differant, and you e.g. paint the baldness, the fur will look better (if you done it right user added image). and on the way to master all of furs possibiblites (i am far from that yet myself), you will get better and better looking fur. i played with fur before i could model - it is quite some fun goofing around with only a fur sphere user added image but after a while i noticed, that it is better to read the documentation and learn the basics of maya first.

now please imagine cloth for a second. i bet you played a bit with cloth already? cloth is a real newbie killer. you cannot just click "cloth" and you have something that looks good which you only have to tweak to make it suit your needs. even to understand what you need to do e.g. create the panels, make garments, sew them together, apply constraints, set up cloth colission objects, and change many settings (the default is not usefull - at least not for anything i tried so far). even to have simple results cloth forces you to have fairly good understanding of nurbs, polygons, and animation.

fur is simply a very clever texturing method, cloth is something of its own in my opinion at least.