Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-11-2003 , 04:36 PM

"Oh I wish I had a river so loooooong..." :D

Hey guys, I'm trying to create a river by using either particles or fluid effects on a nurbs plane (see below). I have a general idea how to make it flow and stuff, but I need to bridge a basic step before I can continue on my own, namely: I need to know how I can make part./fluids appear at the bottom points of my plane, and cannot go any higher than the top point. ( So then I would have my canal filled with particles, but now it's either overflowing or particles just run right trough my plane's moat, when I attach an emitter to a curve. ) I hope this makes any sense user added image user added image.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-11-2003 , 09:13 PM
Update, now wondering how to cut those vague edges and make it flow along a curve ( it's fluid ).

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 24-11-2003 , 09:17 PM
the river is looking good and I am sure when you add some more detail it will look fantastic user added image I have faith in you!

I am not worthy!
# 4 25-11-2003 , 05:06 PM
It's going fine, I've now got some idea's on how to make it 'flow', but I was wondering how I could set particles to reflect. The manual says: either raytracing or something else, but what is raytracing and is this useful?

# 5 25-11-2003 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber
raytracing takes longer. as for the more technical explination of it I will deffer that untill I'm more rested. or someone else has a better responce. But sertine lighting afects, such as reflections require raytracing. It need the calulations of how light reacts to things for them. Looking at your sean hear starts to make me think about wouldn't it be nice to try some landscapes..

Keep up the good work.

# 6 29-11-2003 , 09:07 PM
Trying even another approach, but I'm currentely rendering a better image, but my computer is so slow this takes about 3 hours in 640x480, so have patience user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 29-11-2003 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
That looks cool ! 3 houres !! wow.. maybe you could tell us more about what your doing difrent ?

# 8 29-11-2003 , 11:43 PM
ARGGG!!! It took me 3 hours of rendering for a shot of 640x480, rendering the wrong camera :@ . The idea of a fluid with relective particles flowing above it works, but it does require a one-way river (no curves or anything). That I did need, so I try something different. I've now only got a poly landscape, with a custom ocean plane scaled down to fit in the canal gap user added image . The rest is just volume fog hanging over it, and the waves are just created from custom nodes. Sorry for the lens flare and lights, but I wanted to show that it was quite reflective (who am I saying sorry to, I guess myself, taking on those hours of rendering without because I had things like fog and opticx I didn't need user added image . Poor, poor me user added image ). There should be a maya tutorial on water or something in my opinion. user added image Heh, if I knew enough about it I would do it user added image.

# 9 30-11-2003 , 03:02 AM
dirack: check the curve flow utility listed under the particles menu. Also, to get them to form along the bottom, have each (or a select few) of the vertices at the bottom emit the partices. Then use the gravity and turbulence fields on them to make the waves/flow.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 30-11-2003 , 03:55 AM
SM Tea Boy
Moved to WIP

David user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 11 02-12-2003 , 07:19 PM

update

updating...... I used the lower vertex to emit particle cloud with .45 glow intensity, wich just make it to the surface. I know it looks like my river it looking uglier than the last post but it's much nicer and much easier to render. user added image I now only got the problem that the particles in the distance, nearing the view point horizon emit far more light than the other parts of the river. Thus it seems that there is a huge accumulation of thingies user added image there. Any way to prevent that?

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 02-12-2003 , 07:22 PM
Sorry for the size.... again. How can I past multiple images just in my text field? That would prevent this user added image