Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 17-10-2002 , 03:46 PM
and a small update:

# 32 17-10-2002 , 03:54 PM
The stargate itself is impresive! great example of good modelling!

I do have a problem with the portal itself, maybe it´s the shader, maybe it´s the surface itself, but you should definitely look up to it.

Keep on it, looking nice!

# 33 17-10-2002 , 04:01 PM
Thank you!

I am not satisfied with the portal myself. It's really looking stupid... The surface itself is ok, but I do not find a nice shader for it. Maybe I'll take a glass-shader and color it a bit blue, but any suggestions on the shader would be really helpful!

And any help on the previous problems?

Best Regards

Markuz

# 34 17-10-2002 , 04:33 PM
Subscriber
Instead of one-surface effect, how about making several layers with some space in between them?

The transparancy would be greater with the outer surface and then go to zero at the backmost surface.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 35 17-10-2002 , 04:35 PM
mhhh.. sound interesting, I'll give it a try, thanxuser added image

# 36 17-10-2002 , 06:03 PM
Get ahold of an A/W´s AWGUA 2001 Seminar notes Cd, then check for Wednesday August 15th Seminar Presentations. It contains information on shading networks, that in your case would prove most usefull.

# 37 17-10-2002 , 06:22 PM
I suggest you also run a check on Google, for shading networks tutorials on the web, since the effect you´re looking for could be created quiete simply using some expressions, displacement maps and such. user added image

Here´s an interesting link for you to check upon:
Maya Rendering & Shader Nodes

# 38 17-10-2002 , 10:46 PM
Nice url Adldesigner. user added image

mayan@netcabo.pt
# 39 18-10-2002 , 10:14 AM
Ok, thank you for the link! But the page seems to be quite old, scince nearly all links there are brokenuser added image..
Anyways, thank you. I'll have to read that...

Regards

Markuz

# 40 18-10-2002 , 03:05 PM
Yeap they are, but check the info on that page though. It´ll help a lot.

# 41 19-10-2002 , 06:37 AM

Originally posted by Markuz
How can I rotate an object around the origin with the pivot-point left at another point. In this case: How to rotate the part of the stargate-iris around the origin with the pivot-point left above the origin so that the next Iris-part looks like the yellow painted in the picture here (preferably: How to do the transform-duplicate-tool make that work for me?):

u could group the iris part in a new group, the new group will have the center in the origin. after this u can easy dublicate (rotate) this one part and build the complete iris.

so long C.

# 42 20-10-2002 , 01:55 PM
Yes, thank you for the answer, I have done it that way, after I figured it out myselfuser added image. Thanx anyway!
But the iris is still a problem. I do not really know exactly how the parts of the iris have to look like. The shape I created and duplicated seems to be ok. but when you look closer, the surfaces intersect, and I do not know how to get the correct shape that avoids this problem. Does anyone have a scheme of the iris???

Best Regards

Markuz

# 43 21-10-2002 , 01:54 PM
Hi again!

Now I completed the iris. It looks good when It's not fully closed, but when it is, the shadows are looking extremely strange? (The Dmap-resolution is greater in the pic with the closed iris)

The portal-Surface isn't good at all.. It's still looking wrong. But that is the best I was able to do scince now. I simply used the denfo-purewater shader and adjusted it a bit. I still need a good TUTORIAL for shaders and how to create them.
I think I can model things ok, but my shading-work isn't very welluser added image..

# 44 21-10-2002 , 01:55 PM
here the iris is closed:

# 45 21-10-2002 , 02:04 PM
Kevin
very nicely detailed, i like it... nice work Markuz