Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 08-03-2005 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber

Help with crease

Hey all. I'm building an airplane model and am having an issue with my poly cage. I have a crease running in a few places (two of which are shown in the example pics). I'm pretty sure it's because of the close poly-splits I did for other reasons but now I am having a heck of a time figuring out how to smooth them without making it worse by pushing in too far. I've played with selecting the edges or vertices and moving them, even tried using the soft-mod tool and sculpt but all are not giving the results I want . I even tried deleting some edges and that didn't do it.

Any ideas of how I can fix this?

Attached Thumbnails

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
:: Dr. Emmett Brown
# 2 08-03-2005 , 09:03 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried select three vertices in a line then scaling inward to help line them up?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 3 09-03-2005 , 01:14 AM
Subscriber
Dont listen to me if your looking for advice. All I want to say is, good job mhcannon. You seem to make it mandatory to help out people in need. Espicially newbs, your name is on almost every "need help" post with useful information.

# 4 09-03-2005 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
alienscience,
It may sound strange, but this is how I learn things. Finding answers to question I don't know pushes my knowledge. Answering question I do know reinforces my knowledge. [Edit] And if I can help someone else learn in process, even better!.

But, if I am too all over the board I can scale back user added image

Last edited by mhcannon; 09-03-2005 at 08:33 PM.
# 5 09-03-2005 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber
Oh, thats a great way of learning. I would try it if I new more. But thats why we have people like you. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont "scale down" with your help. Without it we would have one less person to help people like me.

# 6 10-03-2005 , 08:29 PM

Crease

Hey sjurick,

If you are working on a poly cage that has been turned into SubDivision surface, go right-click on the geometry and select "standard" mode, then try selecting "edges" from that same menu. Once you have the edge in question selected, go to "Subdiv Surfaces> Uncrease Edge/Vertex".

Then maybe try a partial crease a few times until you get it right.

Hope this helps.

!MasterFool

# 7 11-03-2005 , 02:03 PM
Subscriber
Hey thanks for the help Master. I decided to trash the mesh and start over since I believe putting the 3 edges close together like that was the wrong way to go.

I've made a new one and this one is much smoother. Top pic is the poly, bottom is the sub-d with the cockpit edges creased.

Attached Thumbnails

"Please excuse the crudity of this model, I didn’t have time to build it to scale or to paint it"
# 8 11-03-2005 , 04:43 PM
Looks good.

!MasterFool

# 9 11-03-2005 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber
Good call, much nicer mesh.

# 10 11-03-2005 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys. Rather than posting in WIP area I'll just keep it going in here for now.

Haven't had much time to work on it since last post, but I made the wing saddle and tested with sub-ds to see if it had any weirdness. Also made the cowl with oil pan.

Attached Thumbnails

# 11 11-03-2005 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
Does anyone know why this happens after creasing with Sub-Ds? I get it occasionally and it's really annoying. Sometimes I have to crease something I don't really want to get it to come back fully shaded, then uncrease that part.

It renders out in Maya renderer just fine.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by sjurick; 11-03-2005 at 08:28 PM.