Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 10-03-2007 , 10:51 AM

animation test

Here is an animation that I am working on. The entire shot is still developing as yo will see but I thought I'd share it with you anyway.

Things to note:
I didn't turn on the motion blur.
This is not a layered composite. it's a straight beauty pass.
The animation is still being tweeked.
The matte was not available to matte out the tree that the alien is suppose to be standing behind.
The shadows are not turned on.

I'll post the final results in a week or two.

alien animation clip

# 2 10-03-2007 , 02:23 PM
Subscriber
i really like the second half but the first needs alot of work (and i`m not talking about him not being behind the tree).

the jump looks wired cant put my finger on why and the movements hes doing look odd and alot of them would be hidden by the tree.

personally i would have him coming out from behind the car.

i think you got the lighting spot on though well done:attn:

# 3 10-03-2007 , 02:38 PM
i think one problem is that while watching the animation you can't help but be blatantly aware that it's going on over a photograph instead of a moving background... even if you were to shrink up your stage size and move the photo around a little to make it look like it was a handheld shot or add some noise to it or something, it would pull attention away from the absolute stillness of the environment.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 10-03-2007 , 03:00 PM
Senior Software Developer
Use a peice of video footage that fits the purpose, just like using a still image, but gets away from the lack of secondary motion in the image plane.

Just looking at the video now...

After Looking...

Yeah, u need a live plate and also this really needs to be composited on layers. You need to add shadow the the creature as its not part of the current plate. Good start, still has a lot of work.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)

Last edited by R@nSiD; 10-03-2007 at 03:04 PM.
# 5 10-03-2007 , 04:49 PM

Originally posted by tweetytunes
i really like the second half but the first needs alot of work (and i`m not talking about him not being behind the tree).

Well, I'm on the team needing the tree. Is there a way to get another layer on there to show coming out from behing the tree? If you have photoshop, you could get the tree and stuff separated fairly easily! I love the lighting in the second half, though! Very cool work!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 6 10-03-2007 , 07:16 PM
Thanks guys!

About the tree. I do have a matte for it but as I tried to explain, this was just a simple beauty pass to show where I am right now. The final composite will indeed have the alien coming from behind the tree and there will be motion blur and shadows and all will be rendered as specific passes that will be comped in Fusion.

A couple of you guys mentioned the stillness of the background because I used a still image. To be honest, that is my biggest concern. maybe if the bushes weren't in the shot it wouldn't seem so motionless.

There is something weird about the way the alien jumps from behind the tree. I'll work on that.

Just to give you a heads up; what I have shown you so far is shot 1 of a 4 shot scene. After the alien stops infront of the camera, he coughs violently then his skin begins to deteriorate and we see his gooey insides. Finally he melts and turns into a dry crusty mass. Today I came up with a way to get his skin to deteriorate. Stay tuned!