Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-10-2007 , 10:50 AM

Making ncloth tracksuita bottoms

Hi,

want to make these for a project I'm working on and looking for some advice. I understand the basics. I want though to model the elastice waistband, and have this unnafected by the calculations. So Should I model this, and constrain the cloth of the legs to it?

Also, trousers in real life bunch up at the bottom. How would I achieve this effect? The tests I've done have involved modeling around the legs, and look ok, but I don't know how to achieve this effect, since I don't see how I can "fold up" the mesh and have it relax, and bunch properly.

Any advice would be appreciated,

thanks,

gubar

# 2 07-10-2007 , 12:10 PM
I've barely messed with nCloth but I think there's a stiffness setting for it. If so, perhaps increasing it will help make the pants bunch up better during relaxing. I'm just taking a wild guess here.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 07-10-2007 , 12:17 PM
for the waist band I would try selecting the verts that make it up and then using a constraint, have a look in the help files as I thinkg that theres an example.

For the bunching I would give modeling them a go and then converting to ncloth as the problem that youve got is that trousers are generally longer than legs and thats where the creasing comes from, but you might end up with buldging in the areas.

Or decrese the stretch resistance of the cloth and run it on interactive playback untill it looks right (messing with the stretch resistance settings) till its right then stopping and setting this as the initial, then increasing the stretch resistance to suit the material.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 08-10-2007 , 10:10 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm gonna be testing it out over the next few days, so I'll post back with how I get on.

Got so many questions now, really trying to pick up the pace, so I'm gonna have some more threads if you care to help out some more.

cheers,

gubar

# 5 08-10-2007 , 10:31 AM
One thing I forgot to ask.

For the waistband, do you think I should model it as part of the torso (then constrain the material to it) or as a seperate object, but bound to the same skeleton (or even parented to the hip bone), or use another technique (perhaps something like making it an active rigid body, and the torso passive, so they collide)?

The last idea is probably over complicating the issue, but I'm just trying to get a feel for what other users would do in this situation,

thanks,

gubar

# 6 08-10-2007 , 12:22 PM
Just leave it as the ncloth then use one of the constraints

# 7 08-10-2007 , 12:37 PM
Hi,

do you mean having the waistband as cloth too? I though it would be easier to just have it as a regular mesh, with the legs constrained to it, since it won't have to take part in the simulation?

gubar

# 8 08-10-2007 , 01:27 PM
Yes make it cloth. Doint it the other way just seems confusing, you can just constrian the waist part of the trousers to the body.