Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-01-2003 , 05:00 PM

rendering fur - daft question

hi all, first post.. newbie to maya but worked with 3ds max for the past 2 years.. i know i'm being daft about this but i can't get fur to render. i've got the check box flagged in the fur globals section... is there another option in the render globals i'm missing??

cool board.. i've enjoyed reading your posts user added image

thx in advance user added image

# 2 02-01-2003 , 09:00 PM
SM Alumni
Do you have a light in your scene? Make sure you create a light in order to have fur show up.

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.
# 3 03-01-2003 , 01:55 AM
got a light.. still no render... thx though user added image

# 4 04-01-2003 , 02:11 AM
Subscriber
hey, I was having a bit of a fiddle around with fur a few days ago to see if i could teach myself how to use it. I had a similar problem where the fur in the modelling window looked really nice, but when I rendered there were only about 10 awefull black strands on the object. I created a light which fixed the colour problem. I eventually worked out that you must set the density in the fur editor for 'FurDescription1' (this is the default name) of the fur. These changes do not show in the the modelling window. Editing the amount of fur in the 'FurFeedback1' window will change the fur density in the modelling window but not the actual render. This is where i had been going wrong!! user added image

I hope this helps user added image

PS. There is NO such thing as a daft question

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 5 06-01-2003 , 02:27 PM
ok.. maybe not a daft question user added image but i'm still feeling kind of silly! I've got through the section in the help file on fur 3 times to no avail.. maybe i'll try reinstalling?

# 6 07-01-2003 , 10:41 PM
I am having exactly the same problem. I followed the example in the user manual - create light, sphere etc - but i`m getting just a nice sphere in my render view! What are we missing. I also have migrated from 3d max.

Great forum user added image

Thanks

# 7 09-01-2003 , 01:38 AM
haha! my head is as bald as that sphere your rendering cuz i've pulled all my hair out!

ok.. bad pun user added image

hang in there.. i'm still workin on it

user added image

# 8 09-01-2003 , 02:48 PM
Subscriber
I think there is an option when you render to turn fur on or off. render the scene then look at the menu in the render window. see if that helps.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 9 10-01-2003 , 01:13 AM
here's a shot of the render dialog box after i thought i had fur set up... i don't see anything about fur in the dialog though.. thoughts?

user added image