Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 25-11-2008 , 10:00 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

inspiration

Hi all what do guys usually do for inspiration as of now im feeling abit un-inspired

# 2 25-11-2008 , 11:22 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
watch a good movie, read some cool books, look at other cool work or draw!

Jay

# 3 28-11-2008 , 07:22 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
^^What Jay said^^

Plus it sometimes helps to re-visit the reasons you first got into this.

For example: I got into this in the hope of one day becoming a character modeler (Like Jay). The reason for this is my love for movie FX, creatures, character, from practicle effects to digital... from all the movies. And I've always loved great design, thats what gets me going. I think Van Helsing was the final push for me... So if I'm ever feeling uninspired I go and watch some CG heavy movies. You know? ... rekindle the flame.

I have a friend who got into this because of his love of Disney-Pixar movies.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 4 28-11-2008 , 07:58 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I got into it because i liked stop motion and plastascine modeling but i could never be bothered to set everything up and animate something.
then my brother was attracted to a book in borders because of the cover (alias maya modeling and animation 7, i think, with a "chub cubs" cover) so we looked into it and found the personal learning addition of maya.

Back on topic, i asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago and the general response was listen to music/watch films...

# 5 28-11-2008 , 08:20 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

I think Van Helsing was the final push for me... So if I'm ever feeling uninspired I go and watch some CG heavy movies

absolutely. Stuff like this courses thru the veins to get me going to, but I have to say the underlying movie for me is really The Empire Strikes Back as my Dad worked on all those. But also a good one for getting the juices going is The Mummy, now if you watch that and then watch the making of 'Building a better Mummy' with ILM, that really does do the trick for sure, its awe inspiring that one

Jay

# 6 28-11-2008 , 08:48 PM
Subscriber
music, movies, and what I do is come up with ideas when people say "wouldn't it be cool if....."

I have no specific thing that got me into maya just the love for 3d graphics and visual effects. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to put animated things to video (and make it look good) because of what people have said. One is a flash drive which I've been having a lot of trouble with which is why my WIP on that is on hold for the moment. And another is a UFO. And just basic effects.

If you're feeling uninspired start just messing around with some of the features of maya and learn other things, maybe it will help spark some inspiration and enthusiasm to do something else.

# 7 28-11-2008 , 09:08 PM
I have a big folder filled with things that make me feel inspired. It works pretty good sometimes, other times not so much. When it doesn't, I read, or listen to some Jethro Tull or Morrissey (or Feist, or the Decemberists) as all there work is fascinating. It gets me thinking.

user added image

-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 8 28-11-2008 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Joopson
Jethro Tull

I definitely have to agree with that, one of my favorite bands...

# 9 28-11-2008 , 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
I definitely have to agree with that, one of my favorite bands...

Nice, what's your favorite album?

www.joopson.com
# 10 28-11-2008 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
I meditate diligently every morning. The subjects are life and love. I quit after 3 seconds.

my inspiration comes from dreams and all the rest of the stuff that's already been mentioned. although drawing from other people can be dangerous if you stick too closely to what they did

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 29-11-2008 , 12:15 AM
Subscriber

Nice, what's your favorite album?

I can't pick a favorite but the ones I like to listen to the most are
Benefit, Thick As A Brick, Night Cap, Aqualung, Living In The Past, Songs From The Wood, Minstrel In The Gallery...... if I keep going I'll name everything haha
I like all of it, but those cd's seem to get more rotation.

# 12 29-11-2008 , 12:21 AM
So you like their newer work too? (solo and stuff)?
It seems like most people don't, despite Ian's newer work being his best (IMO). (I mean... 1985 and on).

And also, Why don't people like "UnderWraps"? it's one of my favorite albums. It's very fun to listen too.

(Sorry for partially Hijacking this thread)

www.joopson.com
# 13 29-11-2008 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber

So you like their newer work too? (solo and stuff)?
It seems like most people don't, despite Ian's newer work being his best (IMO). (I mean... 1985 and on).

And also, Why don't people like "UnderWraps"? it's one of my favorite albums. It's very fun to listen too.

(Sorry for partially Hijacking this thread)

yeah I like it all, I like UnderWraps to, like I said if I kept listing the cd's I liked it'd be everything put out by ian anderson the guys a talented S.O.B.

# 14 29-11-2008 , 04:10 AM
well thats good.

so anyway, back to inspiration talk:

Oscar Wilde is in my inspiration folder, mainly because of his clothing (awesome, BTW)

user added image
user added image

So is this man (H.P. Lovecraft) because of his awesome writing.
user added image

Mainly just put in things you think are cool!

user added image

www.joopson.com
# 15 29-11-2008 , 06:44 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
i think i got one final fantasy spirits within woke up to it and i must say its got the juices going again