Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-10-2003 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber

Some people are twisted and only want to copy

grrrr
# 2 03-10-2003 , 10:44 PM
Not the first time Ive read about that. It is the first time that the founder of Vavle has been called Mr. Gabe though. lol.

# 3 03-10-2003 , 10:50 PM
Stupidity I say... What the %&# are those machines doing in the internet? Shouldn't such computers/LANs kept strictly in where they're supposed to be -> developing the darn game... Or maybe it's an internal leak...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 04-10-2003 , 07:46 AM
Subscriber
Whatever it was it does not make it right. I hope they catch the ediot.

grrrr
# 5 04-10-2003 , 11:07 AM
True, such computers Shouldn't have acces to the internet.

It could very well be an internal leak, as we have seen before with ATi leaking the Doom3 Alpha.

Hope they catch the person(s) who did it.

# 6 06-10-2003 , 12:31 AM
There should be a special room.....nothing get's in...nothing get's out......user added image

# 7 06-10-2003 , 04:17 AM
Yes, there should be. Alouth the coders would go mad after the 5 years they've been designing. Yeah guys, this has been out for a few weeks.

i hope they catch, prosicute, and torture the moron/genious who did this. Hey, maybe they'll castrate them. lol.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 8 06-10-2003 , 04:30 AM
The Maya Mountain
while I don't deny that whoever leaked the source code should be punished, Valve should have had higher security... hackers are a normal part of the internet these days, and for such a high-profile title I would have expected higher security. Heck, my studio is small in comparison and we do quite a bit to ensure our network's integrity.

Oh well. Live and learn, I suppose.

# 9 06-10-2003 , 05:34 AM
Lets not assume that the hacks used were simple. EVERY system can be brought down some how.

My home network is VERY secure. Port scans only show one active port, and that is an out going port only. Pings to my IP are dropped. My computer barley exists on the internet. Yet someone still got a Trosian on my system.

Its not hard to think that Valve could have had a key logger put on its systems. Though i dont think any computer with the code, or the game should have been connect to the internet in any fasion. There mistake.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 10 06-10-2003 , 10:38 AM
>EVERY system can be brought down some how.

Not if its not connected to the net. Id have thought if you really wanted a secure network that'd it'd be kept offline.

# 11 07-10-2003 , 02:27 PM
Subscriber
One of my three computers has never been online in it's life. This is because I have an enormous amount of data that doesn't need to be seen by the public eye. (All my word doc files, tax stuff, .mb files that need to be kept safe, etc) I've never even stuck a phone line into it...

# 12 07-10-2003 , 06:15 PM
Yeah me and my mate had the same discussion, if they wanted to keep it safe, they should have kept it offline, however i was reading about Metal Gear Solid 2 a while ago, and alof of the stuff in that game was sent around by email. And if any hacker wants access to a system, nothing will stop them. A good hacker can get past anything.

# 13 08-10-2003 , 12:41 PM

Not if its not connected to the net. Id have thought if you really wanted a secure network that'd it'd be kept offline.

As someone said above it could have been an internal leak to a computer that is on the net. It may have been a mistake by an employee. Could be any number of things.

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 14 09-10-2003 , 03:00 PM
There was a portion of the source code that was stolen. But from what Ive seen of the beta game that is floating around, its all maps etc from the E3 demos. My guess is that this beta copy was leaked from the inside. o_O

# 15 09-10-2003 , 03:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
Yeah, I really don't think this is going to hurt their final sales. The biggest damage it might do is hurt their future sale of the engine itself to other developers, as has been done with the earlier halflife engine.