Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 05-03-2012 , 02:05 PM

constraining softbodies

Hello all,

I've been working on a Birdwing Rig and got to a stage where I want to add some dynamics to the outer feathers to get that overlapping action when the wings flap.

I've tried using Maya hair - placing a dynamic curve on each feather and turning it into a spline IK etc. This works ok when the wing is flapping in the Z axis and there is no other translation - the feather bends how I want it to in a straight line.

The problem occurs when the feathers are fanned together (rotating in the Y axis), to fold the wing during its flap cycle. The dynamics cause the feathers to bend side to side like a waggling tail - not the look i'm going for as the feathers should be rigid along their width and bend along the length only.

I've also tried using soft bodies and springs - same problem; the feather bends in all directions, and not just down the length.

What I want to know is if there is a way to constrain the dynamics so the particles can move in only one direction so it bends along the length and not from side to side.

I've tried a couple of runtime expressions, and thinking about using rigid bodies with a hinge constraint, but this seems a bit of a long winded solution.

Thanks in advance

JD