Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-08-2008 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber

Griffin and the Ball (WIP)

Hi guys,
Just start taking those first baby steps into that vast complicated world known as animation. As with any complicated thing it really helps if it is taken in small amounts. So I started at the beginning with the 12 principles of animation and I think I got the general idea. To practice this, I created a little clip for a story that includes the character Griffin,
Once I wrap my head around the whole concept of Good animation and those long render times. I should be able to tackle 5 minutes of animation!
Here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc4FbzKJRyg

Please, feedback and comments are more than welcome.
Thanks.

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
# 2 03-08-2008 , 12:43 AM
he reads for a bit too long at the beginning, but after the ball enters, its nice.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 03-08-2008 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
i liked it ...simple and cute ..i didnt think the music was appropriate cause it took away from the animation. the music was more the focus but i just turned off sound and was better

# 4 06-08-2008 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the comments/feedback. I am glad you liked it.
Joopson, you are absolutely right. The reading is a little long, I didn't notice it before.
I am now planning to create an action skit. I will definitely take your comments into consideration. This time I will concentrate more on story, character expression and posing.
(Estimated runtime : 3-5 mins)

# 5 10-08-2008 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber
I would love to see your big chunks if your little chunks are 3-5 mins user added image

but seriously:
From the clip of your animation, I think you could brush up on the timing and make the action more dramatic in the process.
Also at the minute things seem a little floaty and not nailed down, it is important to get those key poses nailed down first and then go ahead and animate your inbetweens.
If you don't do them already Playblasts really help you to notice what your animation is going to look like in the final output, and really helps you to notice what stands out and what looks wrong which you can miss while just moving things around constantly.

Hope I didn't come off sounding to nasty, just thought I would try to drop some helpful comments in there.

I do really like the character and the concept and it could be a good piece of animation once the timing is sorted.

# 6 10-08-2008 , 05:29 PM
Looks really nice... a few critics though:
* The pace is too slow... you can almost double it up and get a good result.
* There moment where the cat hits the floor needs some work.
* It shouldn't have ended where it did.

On a more positive note - I really liked the facial expressions, especially for the reading.

Hope to see more work on this one,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)