Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-02-2003 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber

I need help preparing for a life of creating video games.

I have been searching for answers, but have had little luck in finding any. What I need to know is what I should do once I graduate from high school if I plan to work for a company that creates video games. Should I attend a school that teaches Maya or is learning Maya something I should do on my own through purchasing books? How long should I learn maya? On top of that, I obviously need to go through college and get a bachelor's degree at the same time to appear "well rounded". (math, science, foreign language, etc.) I want a good place that will teach me well, yet doesn't carry an insanly high price tag. I live in Kentucky, but am willing to move anywhere in the United States and even travel to the United Kingdom if I must. The company I want to work for is in the UK anyway, so I'll be moving over there some time soon anyway.

Also, is there such a thing where a student could observe the proccesses of their future job? I know how games are made in general, but I am curious as to what an average day is like for a level designer or 3D character artist. I usually excell at things when I have time to learn the ins and outs of it all.

Throw some suggestions, links, or whatever you have in your inventory at me. I need to figure out where I'm heading. Thanks.

# 2 05-02-2003 , 02:54 AM
The Maya Mountain
a degree is great and all, and I know my lack of experience may make my answer mean diddly squat, but it seems that having a good portfolio would be the main thing you'd need to worry about.

# 3 05-02-2003 , 04:24 AM
If you're planning on a career in create artwork for games, I can tell you that a degree is pretty low on the list of requirements. Having a strong portfolio and/or demo reel is of the utmost importance. Personality and experience are next and then education. You can go to the best art school on the planet but still produce squat for game art. A degree is just a piece of paper.

Going to school can be very beneficial, though. If you've had no formal art training in high school, then a post-secondary education can teach you the foundations of art and design. You learn how to talk about art, how to critique artwork, receive critique on your work, and develop as an artist. You can do this at a liberal arts university or at a dedicated art school. Either one works. It all depends on the type of education you're looking for and/or how much money you can spend. In general, art schools are more expensive.

Another benefit of going to school is establishing a network of contacts that can be useful after you graduate. You can do that independently, but the social environment of a school and the classroom can make meeting people a lot easier. Also, you have access to the instructors and professors at the school. They have their own contacts and resources, and they often share them with their students.

When looking for a school to attend, don't worry about whether or not it teaches Maya. Maya is just another tool, and you can learn it on your own if you're motivated enough. Rather, look for a school that offers you a solid education in art and design. If they happen to teach Maya, great. If not, don't worry about it. You don't spend $10k+ year on learning Maya. You might as well buy a new computer and Maya Unlimited with that money and learn it on your own.

In regards to learning about game development, many game studios take on interns or job shadows on a regular basis. If you contact the studios, they can give you an answer. Some schools have partnerships set up with local game studios and routine have internships or job shadows go through them.

When I worked for Dynamix (a division of Sierra Online), I worked with several interns from the local university as well as job shadows from various high schools throughout the region. All of those students contacted the company on their own to inquire about these opportunities. At the moment, I am supervising 7 interns from the university with my current company. Since I also teach at the university, I set up the internship on my own.

Another good way to gain some game development experience is to work with indie game developers. There are a lot of teams out there that need volunteer artists. It's not exactly glamourous work, but it is good experience. You can find some more information on indie game development here:

https://www.garagegames.com
https://www.gamedev.net/

I've covered a lot here, but there is obviously more to this. I'm just too lazy to type it all out right now. I hope this is a start to answering some of your questions.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 05-02-2003 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
Thanks a lot both of you. This is what I needed. So it is possible to get a close up look at the real stuff then. This is good. This is what I need to get into then. Thanks again.

# 5 05-02-2003 , 06:02 AM
Hey, let me give you THIS advice:

Finish college because it's a good way to be exposed to people with different backgrounds, different priorities, and different ideas than yourself.

Finish college because if you skip that step you'll always be marked as someone who didn't, and though this may not affect your career it will affect your social standing and maybe, just maybe, your image of yourself.

Finish college because education is important and if all you learn in life is what you need for your career you're denying your potential as a human being.

Finish college NOW because it will never be as easy as it is at this point in your life.

Finally, finish college because it's simply the best way to be exposed to the wide range of knowledge you'll need to see to be the most creative that you can be.

I know plenty of people who have made good careers in art and in animation without degrees, but anyone who tells you not to go to college if you can is doing you a terrible disservice.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 6 05-02-2003 , 06:12 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sorry if my comment was misconstrued. I definitely advocate going to school. user added image

# 7 05-02-2003 , 06:13 AM
I didn't think you were arguing against it, Mike, but I figured a strong statement in favor was warranted. user added image

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 8 05-02-2003 , 07:35 AM
My team (indie group like dannyngan described) just lost our 3d artist due to medical troubles. If you are interested in gaining team experience and getting some solid work to show on a reel, send me a private message and we can talk more. This team has been together a long time (3 years) and has a great sponsor. Our current project is a short film to be entered this fall at the Machinima Film Festival. Previous to this project we created a tech demo. And we have more projects on the backburner.

# 9 05-02-2003 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
I'd love to, but it'll have to wait a bit. I have to finish up high school first, which goes for the rest of this year plus next year. I'm only a Junior right now. I will deffinently contact you after school, though. Thanks for the offer.

And about going to school. I'll will deffinently go to college. From looking at job offers though, I have found out that little schooling is required to do CG work. Just experience.

# 10 05-02-2003 , 07:09 PM
You mentioned the UK, well there's a BA in Computer Animation at Teesside Uni (in Middlesbrough), or one of the best places you can go is Bournemouth Uni. Someone told me that one of the higher powers at ILM was asked what univeristy he would most like to have attended and he's answer was Bourmenouth.

It's somthig to think about?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....