Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 05-08-2012 , 05:16 PM

Non-Linear Bend

Hi all.

Sorry to bother you!

BUT ...

Trying to create a tyre. I've created the tread that I want. however, saw the I can use the non-linear bend to create a circular plane.

I've taken screen shots below, please let me know what I can do to change it.
Thanks.

user added image

user added image

# 2 05-08-2012 , 05:38 PM
The thin red line
Whats the problem is it the seam is not closed or is it the pattern does not look right..........dave

# 3 05-08-2012 , 05:41 PM
Hi Dave, thank goodness someone has replied! ha-ha.
I've just started using maya, very complicated and complex!!
It's the seem isn't closed, if I use a great number of the curve then it overlaps and the side pattern doesn't match.

Hope this helps.

user added image

Also, if I'm trying to import this in to another scene, I can go import - but then when I scale it - it distorts the curve.

I guess I need to sort this issue before any import really.

# 4 05-08-2012 , 06:14 PM
The thin red line
In the bend curvature put in a figue like 3.142 that should get you close to shutting the seam now delete history to get rid of the bend deformer then select the verts in the seam and merge them, the pattern should be tileable at the ends if it is not this will not work...........dave

Edit:as you are starting out with maya I would use a bump map to do this there are a number of free tutorials to do this on google

Last edited by daverave; 05-08-2012 at 06:18 PM.
# 5 05-08-2012 , 06:20 PM
Hi Dave.
Thankyou for getting back to me once again.

Um.... Yeah, I end up putting in around -3.182 or something to almost close, but it is slightly "off" still.

Sorry to ask, and please say not if you don't have the time, do you have an email address I could send you the MA file to? - just to take a look? Struggling with this one user added image

# 6 06-08-2012 , 09:14 AM

# 7 07-08-2012 , 01:47 AM
You have a bunch of bad things going on.

1. You have a metric butt ton of open edges (see attached screen shot)

2. In order for the bend to produce a perfect circle all the edges must be perfectly vertical.

(1a) To see how this is borking you look at the attached screen shot of your model before I tweaked it.

Look at the vertical edges you can see they are all wonky especially where they are not closed.

(1b) now look at a section of the tweaked model before I applied the bend. All the vertical edges on the left side are now aligned vertically. I simply selected them all All except one, slid them to the left a bit then held the v-key and middle mouse gestured over the vert I did not select and all the verts are now aligned to the unselected verts x coordinate.

I left all the open edges and did not align any of the other inner verts.

But now that inside edge is a straight line so if I bend it by approximately PI (-3.14159....) you can see in screen shot (2) that the inner part of the tire is now close to a perfect circle. I added a nurbs circle so you can see that the inside now lines up and is circular.

Now the outer edge of the tire is still off because of all the inside edges that were not vertically aligned and also open.

To fix this properly you should (1) close all the open edges and then align all the egdes vertically from what will be the inside of the tire to the outside. The tread area is going to be off a bit but will be very hard to align but it should end up close enough that when merged it will be unnoticeable.

You see the offset error you are getting is cumulative so the more of the vertical edges that you align the closer the entire thing will be to circular in the end. That is why you can skip tying to straighten the vertical edges in the tread area.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 07-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.
# 8 07-08-2012 , 10:14 AM
YAY! I've managed to close it. Fantastic. Thank-you.
That was really helpful. Thanks to all you guys for helping user added image

Maya is really tough to learn lol