Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 27-12-2009 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber

Cologne cathedral

Well, after few tries with various projects, i have decided to start this one and will focus only on it.

Well, not much to show yet, but here's a couple of shots:

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 27-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.
# 2 27-12-2009 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
looks like a lot of detail!

care to show a wireframe shot?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 27-12-2009 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
Sure:
user added image

# 4 03-01-2010 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
a small progress (lighting is not exactly good, so you may not notice all the details):
user added image

user added image

Also, Polycount will be insane, i was worried mostly about memory, but with bsp2+MR proxy+instances, it seems to be rether gentle on ram usage so far.

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 03-01-2010 at 12:26 AM.
# 5 03-01-2010 , 08:26 PM
Subscriber
Some more progress:
user added image
user added image
user added image

A bit more work and i'll call this part done for now.

# 6 03-01-2010 , 10:58 PM
The thin red line
realy looking nice, how long have you spent on this project...................dave

# 7 03-01-2010 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
dude that looks really awesome!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 03-01-2010 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
maybe a week, but not full days, because i played a lot with what exctly to use, MR proxy, or istance, or to use many small proxies, or few big ones....
Problem was, that there is gonna be 34 instances if this model. And since this one piece has 200k tris, that would be a lot.
So, it seems the best is to use low poly model of that, and apply proxy to it, and that duplicate instance of this low poly.
Result is, i teste over 2 milion polys, and it renders quite fast, while not using all that much memory.

tnx for comments!

# 9 06-01-2010 , 01:07 AM
Subscriber
Minor update:
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 10 10-01-2010 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
a very minor progress:
user added image
user added image

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 10-01-2010 at 06:17 PM.
# 11 10-01-2010 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
Do you mind if i ask, what your system specs are?
and, how does maya respond in the view ports when you have 2 mil poly's on a scene as you stated?.
sluggish? or still pans and rotates smothly?

The model is looking great. Keep up the nice work
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 12 10-01-2010 , 06:23 PM
Subscriber
system:
intel i7 920
geforce 275 gtx
6 gb ram
---

Well, thing is, in veiwport, i have like 100k triangles, so it runs smooth as it can get, though i have like 1/2 of model hidden (so i'd say total scene size is like 250k triangles).

What i am doing is, to make high poly model (what of those pillars have 200k+ polys), and then low poly, that still has like 10k polys. I then use mental ray proxy, so that in viewport, you see this low poly version, to avoid unnecesarry memory usage, and when i render it, mental ray replaced low poly with high poly. this way, viewport runs quit smooth, and render times are a bit faster.

So, in short, in viewport, i actually have 200k tris or less (depends how much that low poly has - it can be just cube as well, but i prefer to have model that is very similar to high poly), however, MR actually does render 2 milion polys (or so).

Also, i made only one MR proxy pillar, and then duplicate instance. This way, atlest from what i see, is best to achiv faster rendering time and reduce memory usage (together with proxy), while viewport runs quite smooth.

tnx for comment!

Last edited by Sil-Valeor; 10-01-2010 at 06:27 PM.
# 13 10-01-2010 , 06:43 PM
Subscriber
Indeed.. A good way to deal with the view port lag caused by high poly models.
Makes a lot more sense now, i was at first thinking you were viewing 2mil ploys in the view port. .....i was going to offer to pay you handsomly for a rig that woudl run maya with that many polys in view port and pan and tumble smothly, more or less not crash..LoL
Thank you for the input
G-man

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 14 10-01-2010 , 06:56 PM
Subscriber
well, if you only have models in viewport, that is not such a problem, atleast on my rig, i can rotate camera without too much slowdown, but when it comes to actually working with 2 milion poly mesh, now that's a whole difrent story.
This model is very good because you can devide it in segments, and once that is done, you can load very low poly mesh instead of it in viewport, as it's not needed anymore, so viewport runs nicely.

If you still want to make corrections on that model, you can still edit it and again export mr proxy file, and maya will update all low poly meshes, that uses it.

This is first time i'm using it, but it does seems to work great so far.

tnx for your comment!

# 15 21-01-2010 , 06:13 PM
Subscriber
A small progress(finally got some time to proceed on this one:
user added image