Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 24-02-2011 , 04:26 PM

smooth frame tube

Hello,
I am a new user to maya and i am just stuck on a model i am making at the moment. my intention is to create a 3d printable model of the shape of the image attached.
my current work process is:
-i take a polycylinder and split it into sections
-i then apply a script (convert to polywire) which makes the edges of the split sections into a framework
- i then smooth mesh and i get the desired look of a pipe with a smoothed framework.
but, if i need to send the model to 3d print i need to give the surfaces some thickness, i don’t really know how to do this but i was told by another maya user that the model is messy because the surface doesn’t reside on one axis and all the face normals are going different directions.
is there another way i can model this shape? how can i give that thickness?
thanks
Dicky

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 24-02-2011 , 11:12 PM
Lifetime Member
To give an object thickness you use the extrude command mate. Go to editmesh>extrude and the manipulator will pop up...then grab probably the 'y' arrow and move it towards the centre this should work and you will see it getting thickiness.

Interesting pipe mate...can I ask what it is for??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 25-02-2011 , 03:02 AM
hi bullet,

thanks, the pipe, its for an urban planning scheme, for integrating all infrastructure sevices,

cheers
dicky

# 4 25-02-2011 , 06:11 AM
Lifetime Member
Oh ok!!! a planner eh? Can I ask why in Maya and not AutoCAD or 12D or similar (Im Aussie so not sure what software you may hvae)...Im a Surveyor..so I get to turn designers plans inside out and make them work LOL. Interesting...my Surveyor friend left our field of work to pursue exactly what you do...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes