Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-08-2003 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber

walk cycle - actually moving the model

Hello!

I just watched Kurt's tutorial (which is great by the way!) and built a walk-cycle similar to his. Now how can I make him move?

My idea was to key the translateZ attribute of the Skelly node. But then I'd have to set a key almost every frame by hand. Is this really the way to go?

I was thinking about some kind of an expression that drives Skelly's translateZ according to the foot movement. Is that a good idea or should I key it manually?

Thanks for any advice!

greetings,

Dvdmaster

# 2 19-08-2003 , 03:22 PM
That really is the way to go. Welcome to the world of charater animation. user added image

You could write an expression that drives the root node, but then you would lose manual control of it. I would recommend just manually keying it.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 19-08-2003 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
Danny, thanks for your reply.

I guess I still need to learn a lot about animating.

Btw: It would be a great addition to the existing 3 walk tutorials if there would be a 4th where the guy is actually walking a few steps forward on the plane.

Last edited by dvdmaster; 19-08-2003 at 10:21 PM.
# 4 25-08-2003 , 04:41 PM
you shouldnt need to set one for every frame. You could just one at each end of the timeframe you want the character to walk for. Just make sure you get the speed right. But creating an expression to do it would be a great mini project.

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB