Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 18-08-2005 , 10:02 AM

New Tutorial Ideas

I'm going to be doing a series of short tutorials for SM very soon. I'm going to be looking at topics not covered so far e.g. lighting & rendering, post production issues etc.

So what would you guys like to see being covered? Don't think of big complete start to finish tutes e.g. the car modelling one. Think smaller like how do I achieve this particular effect? or how can I make this task easier? or is there a way I can do this in 2d rather than 3d?

That way we will build up a nice library that people can dip into and learn little tips and tricks that are used in real production environments to speed up their work/make it look better/offer more control in the comp etc.

So give us your suggestions/request/desperate pleas for help user added image

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 2 18-08-2005 , 11:14 AM
Subscriber
How about rendering in layers for compositing (rendering out geometry, shadow, background passes, etc)?

Maybe reducing the time needed for Mental Ray renders, or the different ways of rendering particles.

I'd really love to see some tutes on these subjects.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 3 18-08-2005 , 11:21 AM
there already is a render layers tute but maybe we could look at extra passes you can run out. that was one of the things I was going to do anyway.

Particle rendering could be done, how basic/advanced were you thinking?

user added image
A

IMDB
# 4 18-08-2005 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber
I was thinking just the basics to start with, and then maybe stepping up to something a bit more advanced.

Never knew about the render layers one though.

Cheers,
Malcolm

'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty' - Vice-Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson - Battle of Trafalgar - 21st October 1805
# 5 18-08-2005 , 11:27 AM
Ok so a particles basics tutorial, I think I can handle that!! user added image

user added image
A

IMDB
# 6 18-08-2005 , 11:33 AM
Subscriber
Cool. I'm really looking forward to it.

Just had another thought. How about a lighting tutorial, showing how to light the same scene for different times of day - for example, lighting a park or a street or something at dawn, noon, dusk and night.

Might be a bit long, but I really do need to learn how to light.

Cheers,
Malcolm

# 7 18-08-2005 , 12:43 PM
OK I can take a look at that but lighting is very subjective.. there's a million ways to light... and it's a lot of trial and error to get exactly the look you want. I'll take a look and see what I can come up with.

user added image
A

IMDB
# 8 18-08-2005 , 03:03 PM
Sure particles tutorial would be OK!
Explain the use of PP attributes,goals,rendering particles...
Will it be for free or...??? user added image

# 9 18-08-2005 , 03:06 PM
What about Maya Live or working with pre-recorded video. Maybe incorporate some After Effects?

I also like the idea of a lighting tutorial. Maybe a simple overview of lighting, how it is done, diffrent types, whats best for what etc. Then may be some on specific tasks like lighting a dingy stairwell or somthing.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 10 18-08-2005 , 04:19 PM
Heya,

How about some Mental Ray tuts?? Like actually using Mental Ray nodes like materials and lights? I think that there is a shortage of tutorials on how to actually go about and use all these nodes with Mental Ray...Just a suggestion though...

Mills user added image

-------------------------------------------