Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 29-03-2006 , 09:08 PM

Learn Maya

Hello everyone,

I would like to learn maya but don't know how .. which s/w to download ..... could you please help out with this ?

Thanks,
dd

# 2 29-03-2006 , 11:46 PM
Subscriber
Hello,

what's an s/w? If you mean tutorial, get the free dog tutorial to start with that gives a good start on modeling. Otherwise you wil need time. (lots)

good luck

# 3 30-03-2006 , 07:54 AM
Thanks for ya reply. S/W means software ... I meant what to install to get started with it ...

thanks,
dd

# 4 30-03-2006 , 08:34 AM
Install Maya first. You can download a free verstion called the Personal Learning Edition from Alias' site

# 5 30-03-2006 , 11:29 AM
it's about 100MB download I think and then go to the www.cgtutorials.com to find massive amounts of tutorials and check free video tutorials here on simply maya. user added image
good luck!

If the worst hasn't happened yet, that's because you haven't tried everything yet!
# 6 02-04-2006 , 03:10 AM
new to 3d, have completed the dog tutorial, came out well. What's the next step?, rendering, painting and uv mapping are all mysteries to me, what type of tutorial should i be looking for now? one more question, after duplicating half of a model, how to you merge them? merge to vertex's, edges, faces, to center?
any help would be apreciated.

# 7 23-04-2006 , 07:31 AM
this may be late, but o well

it depends on what you duplicated, if nurbs surfaces, you have to use attach surfaces tool under "edit nurbs", but this is more complicated then it sounds, you'll need to understand NURBs surfaces before you begin attaching and detaching NURBs surfaces

if polygon surfaces you'll want to first combine the two objects by > selecting two or more polygon surfaces or objects > polygon > combine

after combining them, you'lll want to merge edges or vertexs together > select two or more vertexes close to each other that you want to become as "one" vertex > edit polygon > merge vertexes > and repeat the process to connect the rest

note: the "distance' option under the merge vertex option indicates a range of how far the vertexes can be apart to be able to merge together. experiment and you'll see what i mean

9 months into Maya...and still learning...
0 experience with any other 3D programs