Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 17-03-2008 , 11:03 AM
Thanks man user added image

I finally got the entire simulation to complete. I lowered the fluid resolution to 1 and changed the sim keys. After about 9 hours of runtime I have 500 K particles. RF finally doesn't crash anymore :attn:

Take a look at version 6a

It's tweaking time now :nod:

# 32 17-03-2008 , 02:21 PM
Subscriber
I absolutely love it. I can't wait to see how this will look textured.
Your doing well Swil, keep going. user added image

# 33 17-03-2008 , 05:01 PM
Awesome!!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 34 21-03-2008 , 02:35 PM
yeah - that was amazing! good work user added image

# 35 22-03-2008 , 03:28 PM
I'm glad you like it - thanks for the feedback :bow:

I've been tweaking various parameters a bit more, with the result below. That's as far as I'm going to take the simulation. Now I'm going to transport that back into Maya and see how it's going to look in a textured environment.

Take a look at version 7

# 36 24-03-2008 , 02:19 AM
looks great! good work swil user added image
looking forward to seeing the final render

Simon

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 37 29-03-2008 , 12:39 AM
Well I'm running into some problems now :headbang:

I have the entire animation sequence complete in Realflow and transported the keys into Maya. The issue seems to be the scene is too complicated for my PC to handle. I can't get the texture on the dam pieces baked and running the animation in Maya makes it crash after about 130 frames. As far as I can trace it back, it's because of the Realflow mesh.

I don't see a solution immediately and it drives me crazy

:angery:

One thing I'm trying is to have only a part of the dam broken into pieces. But the Shatter script fails on me.

I'm stuck user added image user added image user added image user added image :angery: :angery: :angery:

# 38 29-03-2008 , 01:23 AM
Subscriber
this is looking good, sorry to hear about your problem and sorry I'm no help to it. I wanted to ask a question. I know you need to triangulate the mesh before importing it into realflow, but when you're done in realflow and you bring it back to maya does it have to remain triangulated?

This is cool to see, wish I had the talent needed to participate in this challenge.

# 39 29-03-2008 , 02:51 AM
are you caching everything properly, i dont use realflow but playback issues happen alot if your not caching your simulation to hard disk. When it comes to Textures , look into block ordered textures (BOT option) or splitting up the bake into more managable chunks.

Good luck!

whats real flow like to use? intuative?

# 40 29-03-2008 , 03:07 AM
Yeah cache everything mate

Originally posted by LauriePriest

whats real flow like to use? intuative?

Not really, then again I get on with Zbrush.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 41 29-03-2008 , 04:48 AM
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll check it out user added image

Realflow is a nice application. I used it for the first time with this model, so you see what can be done with little knowledge.

I don't think it is necessary to keep the triangulation on objects when transported back into maya. I just take the sim keys and apply them back to the objects. Those don't even have to be rigid bodies at that time, because Realflow already took the dynamics into consideration.

As for the talent/experience needed, this is my third model with Maya and first usage of Realflow. The one thing I'm finding is that one really needs to be organised to keep everything clean.

But I think it's a lot of fun :bandit:

# 42 29-03-2008 , 05:49 AM
Subscriber
one more question, did you do all the breaking animation in maya then apply the fluid to it, or did you do all that in realflow to?

# 43 29-03-2008 , 06:11 AM
The entire animation was done in Realflow. I created the model in Maya, where I shattered the dam into pieces. That model was transfered to Realflow. There I defined the rigid bodies and indicated which ones are static or dynamic. And created the fluid of course.

The main thing I had to do in Realflow, was figuring out the balance between weights of the dam-shards and the forces applied to them, i.e. the speed of the particles, gravity, and two more forces in line with the particle direction to actually get the dam pieces to move.

# 44 29-03-2008 , 06:14 AM
Subscriber
alright thanks for your help, that helps a lot. I've just been kind of curious. I have the dt maya to realflow integration dvd but it's just little things that I've been curious about before I dive into it. Thanks again for the help.

And good luck on your dam animation (I can't help but find that funny sounding, haha) user added image

oh I came across a message board that seems pretty helpful for realflow https://www.realflowforum.com/

# 45 30-03-2008 , 05:50 PM
OK guys, here's the first test render. I think it really looks crap. :angery:

The texture is way off where I want it to be. But at least the basic pipeline works.

I've made some progress with the cache thing, but the entire sim still crashes around frame 130 user added image

Anyway, take a look at version 8

Let me know what you think user added image