Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-08-2015 , 06:20 AM

Anyway to use Phong materials in Renderman RIS/REYES?

Anyway to use Phong materials in Renderman RIS/REYES?
RENDERMAN RIS (non-commercial/free version)

Like, whenever a new material gets assigned to an object that I import for example... it creates a phong material for it...

user added image

Let me say this before anything else... switching the Phong drop down menu to a renderman RIS material such as PxrDisney... all of the attributes get destroyed/unlinked...
(therefore it's basically telling me I have to re-create all my textures...)

So I've noticed in RENDERMAN it doesn't "support" Phong materials?
because it renders the material as a boring untextured grey material...

user added image

So is there either a simple way to convert all my Phong materials to Renderman RIS materials or even just get Renderman to just render Phong materials properly?

I'm guessing there's no way to make Phong materials render properly in a "3rd-party render engine"...
but perhaps there's at least a way to convert all my phong materials to renderman materials with one click?

anyway tell me what you think...

Last edited by TehObLiVious; 31-08-2015 at 04:05 PM.
# 2 31-08-2015 , 03:58 PM
EduSciVis-er
Looks like the short answer is no: https://renderman.pixar.com/forum/sh...vert+materials

REYES mode will handle them I think, but not the newer RIS renderer. There might be a way to simplify the transition, what is your situation with phongs, are they complex shader networks or are you just trying to get a basic plastic material on a lot of objects?

# 3 31-08-2015 , 04:15 PM
Oh well, all I want is just to be able to KEEP all of the materials+textures that were created when I exported some models from another program and just convert them to a working renderman material...

Also about the phong materials... it's just what Maya likes to create materials with whenever I import a new obj. So I don't really have a preference over what type of material to use, it's just that all the textures are already connected to the Phong materials maya created when I imported the models.

# 4 31-08-2015 , 05:11 PM
I dunno, I guess unless someone or the developers themselves give us an update/etc to convert Phong materials to renderman ris materials... I guess I'll just do it the manual way... which actually works out... just is very time consuming, but rewarding at least...

GOOD THING I found out about a week ago once I was trying out renderman ris again was ... is that I can go in Hypershade and Middle mouse button drag TEXTURES to the "Base Color" attribute of the Renderman RIS material PxrDisney... along with I guess any other materials...

^ wayyyyyyy better than even MORE manually re-doing everything... at least I can drag materials, which I didn't know until recently as I said.

So, thanks but, hah, I guess I'll just have to do it my manual way.