Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 04-07-2014 , 01:50 AM

Interactive Creation

Hi there,

I'm pretty new to Maya. I was wondering why I can't get the interactive creation tool to work the way the manual says.

I am reading the 2014 manual and working with Maya 2105, so perhaps that may explain it.

Basically my problem is that when I want to 'drag' to create divisions in my object, I get no result.

It seems like the tool has finished what it is doing by the time I drag the height for a simple cube (see attached image)

I figured out I can create divisions with the options for the polygon tools, which has got me the result I am after, but the Interactive part seems as though it would be quicker.

Please user added image

Guats

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-07-2014 , 02:00 AM
As far as I know there has never been a step 3 as shown above.

You drag out the base, then pull up to create the height and that is it. To add the divisions you go to the channel box, select the polyCube node and enter the subdivisions in in width, height, and depth.

You can highlight all three or any combination then holding the middle mouse button scrub left or right to increase or decrease them.

But I don't think it's ever been part of the interactive creation itself.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 04-07-2014 , 04:12 AM
Subscriber

Interactive Creation

I am with Maya since around two years, after a short time I skipped the interactive creation and started creating "normal".
Also most of the tutorials I have watched and seen, most of the people do not work with the interactive option. But of course, this is personal preference, the software gives you the choice.
The other option beside cdbram's way; go to the menu under create and find the option box for the element you want to create. There you can adjust ahead of your creation how many devisions you want to do.

Hope it helps

# 4 11-07-2014 , 04:42 AM

It was Lies!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the confirmation, I was sure this seemed suspicious. I'll do it in the attributes box from now on.

Cheers user added image