Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 16-08-2013 , 04:30 AM

Renders die...or quit on blue box.

I'm fairly new to Maya, though I have been able to do enough to love the program and want to learn it fully. That said, there is this one ongoing issue that really drives me crazy. I'm hoping someone will enlighten me as to what the problem is, even if I simply have to live with it for now.

I've been working on some scenes that have lots of trees, bushes, and grass..and sometimes high poly count models. It can be slow going at times, but I can get the scene the way I like it. However, quite often, when I try a test render, the render window opens, the system cranks for a while, and then just stops with the render window either black, or solid blue. It seems to want to render the scene, but runs out of steam I suppose. This doesn't always happen, sometimes it seems to display in the render window just fine, and I work right along.

Strangely, if I do a batch render of the scene and let it render out to a file, that works practically every time, no problems. So why won't it render to the render window? Tonight, even if I drop to draft quality and just 640x480, I can't get it to complete the render in the render window..it just stops with the all blue background.

My system has 8gb of ram, maybe that's enough or maybe it's the problem (but as I said, I can get it to render out if I do a batch render). Still, I'd definitely like to hear from anyone who has had this problem and knows exactly what would fix it.
Thanks,
JT

# 2 16-08-2013 , 05:01 AM
Super Moderator
It could be that running Maya with a heavy scene and rendering could be too much for your resources to handle. Open up the script editor and check for any errors.

- Genny