Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 11-06-2015 , 01:46 PM
SM Tea Boy

Robot volume one - Modeling with animation in mind

New tutorial

In this tutorial we cover the creation of the robot you can see in the images below. We designed this character as he has a few different techniques that go into his makeup, with decidedly organic components as well as some hard surface elements. This will allow us to demonstrate various different modeling principles.

The model has also been designed to be rigged and animated, so throughout the course of this tutorial we'll be keeping an eye on what comes next. Often in modeling tutorials you're left with something that looks good, but is then extremely difficult to take forward into the animation process, which we worked hard to avoid.

user added image

user added image

Step by step scene files are included. This tutorial has been created in Maya 2016.

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...nd/?tut_id=369

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 13-06-2015 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber

maya 2016

Hi, are there many features in this series that are unique to maya 2016, or can older versions of maya be used?

# 3 13-06-2015 , 10:40 AM
SM Tea Boy
Well i pretty much use the modeling toolkit throughout the tutorial so this one is probably best done on Maya 2015 +

You could still do it in a lower version but a few of the tool names have changed so you might have trouble finding the right tools.

All the best
David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 13-06-2015 , 10:47 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the quick reply. On 2014 so could prob find my way.
Were the old Smash advert robots an inspiration?

# 5 13-06-2015 , 11:43 AM
SM Tea Boy
I grew up with the Smash adverts so it was in the back of my mind user added image

here is a look at some rig testing with retargeted mocap data for volume two. Very early WIP lots of problems to sort out but it should give you an idea of what he looks like moving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAX-MPRLXTk

David user added image

# 6 13-06-2015 , 01:23 PM
Subscriber
Looks proper; exactly the kind of course needed....
looks like it will go well with the relighting in nuke course. Is the workflow similar for animation?

# 7 13-06-2015 , 02:05 PM
Technical Director
Looks good David.

In the rigging part, you could add some extra character to the animation by adding some dynamic motion on the antennae (with manual override of course) user added image

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 13-06-2015 , 02:44 PM
SM Tea Boy
I was going to along with some nhair wires that come out of the arms and feet. Got to stick some value add in there user added image

Great minds and all that.
David user added image

# 9 19-08-2015 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
Volume 1 was awesome! When can we get our hands on Volume 2? (take my money!) user added image

# 10 19-08-2015 , 08:46 PM
SM Tea Boy
Thanks very much user added image always nice to hear.

i'm just finishing the Spach-Alspaugh House volume 3 right now, i'll get started after that.

Happy you enjoyed it
David