Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-03-2008 , 11:26 PM
Subscriber

A couple of new animations and more coming!

I've been keeping rather busy. I redid a couple of animations from way back (not posted yet, but soon) and there are a couple of new animations on my YouTube account (including my entry for the "11 Second Club" March competition).

The link is here: https://www.youtube.com/user/LtJim

The first two you see are the two most recent! Enjoy and let me know what you think!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 29-03-2008 , 10:31 PM
It looks so realistic on the movement.... congratulations...

# 3 03-04-2008 , 05:05 AM
yeah - nice one lt jim - the animation on the 11 second one is spot on.

i like the zeppelin thing, but it might be nice to pull out so we can see the whole ship, though i guess you're trying to convey it's size. what's with the red blood splotches though? not sure i understood.

in any case - very nice work lt jim as usual. user added image

# 4 03-04-2008 , 05:26 AM
Subscriber
haha the 11 second one is great, "The Director actually tore out a large section of my music" and he sticks his finger in the hole and twirls it around.... at first I thought the door said my last name (Rector) didn't see the DI in front of it, haha.

keep up the good work

oh and while I was there I had to watch your dancing robot animation again, I love that one.

# 5 03-04-2008 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
The 11 Second Club Lip sync one was really good jim haha!

Keep up the work

# 6 24-04-2008 , 12:47 AM
The timing on the 11 second club animation needs adjusting. Some of the movements are way too fast and pose-to-pose. Also, the character appears to be pronouncing every syllable. It's not necessary to move the lips for every syllable. Only use the major phenoms.

The dog walk is okay, although when he sits needs a little work.

I love the Dancing Mechanical Man! The look and feel of that piece is excellent!

Fighter Plane of Tomorrow
- eh. Not very exciting. I do like the look of your "period" pieces though. The lighting and shadowing looks like the old Buck Rogers movies from the 1950's.

Russian Pre-Dreadnaught
- Nice model but the water and smoke effects don't look great. Smoke is coming out to fast.

L'Bonhomme Mecanique Cartoon Walk Cycle
- Hmmm... Looks okay for what it is but there seems to be something missing. I think for the type of steps the robot is taking, there isn't enough secondary movement in the body.

L'Bonhomme Mecanique walk cycle
- A bit choppy at the end of the cycle. Go into the graph editor and move the very last keyframes back one frame. Also try flattening the tangents.

Demo Reel
- Animations are a little stiff. Flatten those tangents!

I Want The Truth!
- LOL! Although the animation is a tad stiff, I love the piece! HA HA! Owww! :attn:

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu