Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-07-2008 , 11:23 AM
Subscriber

Topology Practice

hey guys!

its been about a year i think since i havnt opened maya for any serious work or anything, though i thought i might open it now since im on holidays for abit and regain my passion for MAYA itself :p ived lost my touch pretty much of the program but is slowly gaining it back.

anyways, ived gotten one of my first head models(around 500polys) and started from there. im not trying to achieve detail that much as you can tell but getting the topology right, so PLEASE CRIT on the topology as much as you like user added image

will post some updates within 24hours.

Cheerio's ... Marlon

user added image

Last edited by marlonjohn; 09-07-2008 at 11:27 AM.
# 2 09-07-2008 , 04:11 PM
hey marlon - good to see you back on maya. user added image

i wouldn't add any more geometry at the moment - i think you need to focus on getting the basic shape down - the cheekbones and forehead need to be better defined and the lips are looking bit pursed.

it's definetly a good start - keep at it!

# 3 09-07-2008 , 11:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
very good and very clean.

As Arran has said dont add anymore now just get in there and start tidying up.
You could lose a a row of edges going down from the lower lip down the neck as theres a bit of bunching going on.

well done
Jay

# 4 24-07-2008 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber
You're certainly barking up the right tree! I agree with Jay in that I'd clean a few things up (for me, the area between the side of the mouth and the chin needs to be smoothed out). Otherwise, very simple and clean!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 5 25-07-2008 , 01:52 AM
Subscriber
hey guys, sorry there hasnt been much updates... just started school again and trying to squeeze in the time for this. heres a couple of updates, also started on the ears... first time really doing them without any guidence of a tutorial but yeah hopefully it'll work out in the end,

@ arran - ey man, glad to be back ... i missed it lol user added image

@ jay - thanks man, yeah im not adding anymore geo now, and trying to get the general shape and that now... also yeah didnt realise i had that extra line there, all gone now.

@ jim - I hope i am, this is a hard tree though user added image thanks also,

user added image
user added image

Last edited by marlonjohn; 25-07-2008 at 01:55 AM.
# 6 30-07-2008 , 09:48 PM
Looks good so far but the ears need more work. Here is how i made them, hope it help.

Attached Thumbnails

Using the latest version of Maya!!!!
My ultimate goal is perfection!!!!
# 7 30-07-2008 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
trying to get me jelous mickeal :p

haha thanks for the crit and the picture ... ill try work on it user added image

# 8 30-07-2008 , 10:59 PM
Not at all in fact i am stii working on the topology for the body and trying to get every muscle in the topology witch is very hard, anyway in order to speed up the learning process i suggest you get some references of anatomy and topology to make it looking realistic.

Using the latest version of Maya!!!!
My ultimate goal is perfection!!!!
# 9 30-07-2008 , 11:06 PM
Subscriber
haha yeah i know you wernt trying to, it was kind of sarcasm if you didnt detect :p but i really am jelous ... your head looks pretty good! lol

# 10 02-08-2008 , 01:48 AM
nice start, the model needs a bit of clean up but its nice work