Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 18-02-2003 , 07:54 AM

gallery maybe?

I feel like an ass posting this for the gallery after seing the "furby" one, but who knows?

Sy
# 2 18-02-2003 , 09:42 AM
Cool. user added image

I like it. I have a little ways to go before I can create something that intersting.

It would be 100x better without the watermark. user added image

But thats OK, I'm in the same situation. user added image

Ohhh, the day that I get money. user added image

GREAT JOB!!! user added image

- Matt
# 3 18-02-2003 , 02:32 PM
Works for me, nice colour scheme, and lay out...

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 18-02-2003 , 11:22 PM
Wow thank you so much for the compliments, I feel so proud now!
For the watermark since I don't have the cash for the real thing, I will keep my mouth shut, even when some detail I worked hours on ends up under the watermark... arrrgh!

Sy
# 5 19-02-2003 , 04:51 AM
I concur with Kurt. Throw this up in the gallery. Nice job!

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 6 19-02-2003 , 12:26 PM
Subscriber
oh oh I have one objection (if it matters) user added image

I now made up my mind about out what looked "non-optimal" in the pic.

I think the skies are too dark, in relation to the hue of the shadows cast from the columns.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 7 20-02-2003 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
I agree with you Undseth but the final job is gooduser added image

jesus loves you!
# 8 20-02-2003 , 11:59 PM
I think I understand what you mean about the shadows, but I designed them as a strong part of the composition, and I am not sure I want to weaken them.

Sy
# 9 25-02-2003 , 05:56 AM
The lighting is too bright and the shadows are too sharp. If you're trying to get the effect of the light coming from the background image, you need to 1. lower the intensity a bit. Way too bright. 2. Color it. There's pinks, purpl;es and blues back there. Use them.

::cheers::

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 10 25-02-2003 , 06:44 AM
Thank you very much for the comment, dave_baer, it is much appreciated!!! The shadows, believe it or not, are in fact a very deep purple, probably part of the reason why they are not as dark as someone pointed out they should be. Also a problem I had with lowering the light was that all the detail that took me hours to do gets lost without light. For example, look what a difference between the amount of detail in the columns on the left (with light) and on the right (without light). And they have the same shader! Any ideas on how to get around that?

Sy
# 11 25-02-2003 , 06:45 AM
Subscriber
Hey, great job on the image so far! Definately one of the best works i have seen come from PLE user added image. As for the render, is it a simple maya file, or is it its own extension... the reason I ask is i would be happy to render it for ya if you sent me the file without the watermark. Seeing you have put so much work into it. Maybe export to .XLP (<-- i think thats the file extension).. which is actually a plugin. and then you may be able to render it properly.... i dont know though. Good job, lots of detail user added image.. but yea, the clouds are too sharp.. seeing that take a look at a object right? And now when you focus on that, can you still focus on things in the distance at the same time? Nah.. you cant... so if you blur out some of the stuff in the back simply.. then it would give it a more realistic effect user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 12 25-02-2003 , 08:39 PM
@M:
You can't transfer PLE files to the commercial version of Maya nor can you export to a rendering format. That would sort of defeat the whole purpose of having PLE if you could do that. user added image

@Sy:
A possible solution is to use light linking to add more light to specific areas of the scene. That way, you can really control which object are lit and how much.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 13 26-02-2003 , 06:06 AM
Ehy )v( if there was a gallery for the nicest guys, you'd be on the front page!
You tell me such compliments, I walk 1 foot above the ground for a week!!!!
And offering to render it for me is the nicest thing of you, although unfortunately, it is true that work done in Maya PLE can't be exported. But thank you so much anyway!

I have put together all of your wonderful suggestions and done a few experiments. Here is another version with darker and more colorful shadows. Let me know if it's any better (or worse) than the first

Sy
# 14 26-02-2003 , 06:08 AM
This was a crappy one...

Sy

Last edited by silviapalara; 27-02-2003 at 01:00 AM.
# 15 26-02-2003 , 06:10 AM

Oh crap!

I posted the wrong picture...
Here is the correct one (can you tell it's late and I should shut down the computer for a change?)

Sy