Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-05-2008 , 03:48 AM

simple script to select objects

I would like to write a mel script to select certain objects..

for instance i would like to select the joints in a rig I intend to skin to. (I find not all joints in my rigs need to be included in the skinning)
maybe to select objects that have a certain suffix or something like that. I tried google (I can't seem to find the right results on google) anyone know of somewhere I could do some reading on this subject?

# 2 08-05-2008 , 01:27 PM
Subscriber
Hi leotikansas,

I don't think that a script is really necesarry as Maya contains very good selection tools already.

One option would be to try the quick select function. At the top right of the interface is a text field, this is multi function and to the left of it there is an arrow which will open a drop down menu from which you can selet it's function, quick select is one of them. Providing you've named everything sensibly selecting objects and joints shouldn't be a problem with this tool, just type in the name and your off.

Also the Outliner window is a great tool to use when you're skinning your models, the visual heirarchy is quick and simple to follow but once again this is providing all your objects are named sensibly.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 3 08-05-2008 , 09:05 PM
user added image

ahh, that works perfectly...
gotta wonder what other menial tasks I am overcomplicating

thanks again for orientation of basic tasks