Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-09-2013 , 10:36 AM
SM Tea Boy

Mastering UV layout

New tutorial. I have to say I hate UV mapping it drives me bonkers, I do however know someone that works over at Framestore that loves it. He takes us through his process of UV mapping four very different objects in Maya. What would have taken me many a frustrating hour, Jason Edwards gets done in just an hour and a half. More info at the source link if you're interested.

https://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...ut/?tut_id=309

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 2 25-09-2013 , 09:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Wow is Jason Edwards some sort of nutter?? he enjoys uvs??

teehee

Jay

# 3 26-09-2013 , 06:40 AM
Lifetime Member
A nutter.....hmmmm LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 26-09-2013 , 07:31 PM
Someone that likes Maya but suffers to master it :p
ohh, UVing in maya made me lots of pain in the ass honestly user added image

I got used to UV unwrapping in 3ds max (I'm an emigrant from max to maya actually), but anyways thanks for the help here user added image

Last edited by black H; 26-09-2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: correcting
# 5 26-09-2013 , 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Wow is Jason Edwards some sort of nutter?? he enjoys uvs??

teehee

Jay

I've had my suspicions user added image
-----

UV mapping makes me tired, seriously, I can be bursting with energy one min then I'm dozing off in front of the UV editor the next.

- Genny
# 6 30-09-2013 , 08:05 PM
Lifetime Member
then I'm the oddball 'cause I love UV mapping (mainly woodgrains for me so far)
no matter how bad my modeling turns out, proper mapping of the textures hides most everything ;-)
I will admit it's a PITA sometimes, but well worth the frustrations in the end .....

Many Thanks to all involved for the new tut :-D

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired
# 7 30-09-2013 , 09:06 PM

Many Thanks to all involved for the new tut :-D

You're welcome, I hope it comes in handy for everyone wanting to improve their skillset...

Jay

# 8 14-10-2013 , 02:30 AM
Roadkill + Ninja UV = Done in minutes....

# 9 14-10-2013 , 06:12 AM
Mr Chavfister

Its not a thread for pushing other products - its a thread for us here at simply to show our latest tutorial

The idea of this tutorial was to show it being done in maya and not rely on external scripts or plugins and not confuse those new to doing or hating uvs. Also its more beneficial to show fundamentals of an exercise before confusing the noobs and alike with external goodies.

Also with these type of scripts/plugins you arent getting the optimal uv layout that would deter from painting at a per pixel level, for example on a face where on the 'pelt' style of mappping bunches uvs where they arent wanted.

thanks
Jay

# 10 17-10-2013 , 08:59 PM
Lifetime Member
I have to say that this tutorial has been perfectly timed. I enjoy the challenge of Uving so I downloaded this straight away and worked my way through it, then lo and behold the next tutorial I start (the Sandspeeder) has a lot of pipes and gadgets on the engine. The last object that Jay unwraps is a irregularly shaped cylinder and the same principles he uses work for pipes! This has saved me hours of manual tweaking. Thank you Jay!!!

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 11 17-10-2013 , 09:35 PM
Hey Mr Yeti

That last exercise on the irregular object it can work on other things too providing you think about seam placement properly..its saved me quite a few times with non pipe work too

glad its of use -enjoy!

Jay

# 12 29-10-2013 , 08:48 PM

Problem with mapping

I have a pool table that i modeled that has wooden sides. I applied the wooden texture to two parts of the model using the proper UV texture editor.

The trouble is even though the textures display fine in the default renderer, when in the viewport or actually renderer, 'one' of the textures turns into a plain blinn like colour.

Thanks